Mississippi River Sailors

Mar 10, 2017
Oday 19 Quincy Il
Looking at a O'day 192. Has any one had one of these out on the river? Safe to learn out there?
I've got my ASA 101 103 & 104. Other than that not much more experience.
Thanks
V

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
While I can't speak for your area I frequently sail on the Mississippi where it widens out into a large Lake on the MN / WI border. It's a great place to sail and with your certs you'll be fine in that boat. If you are sailing in the main navigable channel though and not in a lake where the river widens you may find the tacking to become boring and with the current you might not always make great headway up river. Also you'll want to be on the lookout for barge traffic as they come up the channel and for any wing dams (submerged dams out of the main channel) if they have any in the section of the river you sail on. There is a group in Lacrosse WI that sails a lot of O'days on the river and they seem to like them.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
I'm guessing you will be sailing on pool 21. What is the current there about 1.5 mph? With the experience (ASA) you have dodging barges and handling barge wake will be your biggest problem. I'm guessing you can get under those 3 bridges at least where the tugs go under. I would think a lake like Mark Twain would be nicer.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI