Barnegat Bay dinghy on 28mkII

Nov 30, 2007
Hunter 36 Forked River, NJ
I was semi-active on this site before the arrival of two little sailors who have occupied my sailboat forum time over the past few years. During that time, we've done a good amount of local sailing, and especially enjoyed the cruising experience of two bareboat charters in the BVI. This winter I was offered a free rollup hypalon dinghy by a family friend, and found it impossible to resist.... largely because of my sons' affinity for the cruising experience. I don't know how much we'll use it, but I'd like to expand our local experience. I assume we'll store it on the foredeck when underway most of the time. I don't care about speed, but highly value the ability to maneuver back to the boat in wind and chop. My only knowledge of small outboards come from online reviews, many of which are quite old. I like the concept and weight of Torqeedo, but not the cost. Next I like the concept and cost of the Lehr. Finally, it seems I could spend the least for a gas motor. Online reviews for all in the 2.5 -3.5 HP range seem to be rather meh. I expect to use the dinghy for occasional trips to Tices, and to probably explore some other anchorages. So for the sometimes windy and choppy, and very shallow waters we mostly sail in, and the likelihood that the dinghy part of our sailing experience is still a little bonus on top of the sailing time we love, I'm open to hearing suggestions. By the way, I was interrupted by my little pirates 27 times while trying to thumb-type this question. Thanks for your input!

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Welcome back @Banooma. Yeah, those little sailors can certainly take away from man time. Good job with the double thumb technique. I just recently purchased the Lehr 5HP short shaft for our dinghy. A while back I started a thread with a good number of responses and opinions regarding this specific outboard....and regardless of response content...still bought the motor. (lol) Here's a link to that conversation:

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/dinghy-power-advice-lehr-propane-ob.179407/

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
A good number of the small outboards are really made by Tohatsu; Mercury and Nissan are two prominent brands. Money can be saved by not paying for the marquee name and getting a Tohatsu branded outboard.

A guy in my marina bought a Lehr and took it back. Simply didn't have the oomph he needed or expected in that size outboard.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Get an OB with a reverse gear.
The Lehr 5 HP and up have reverse. The 2.5 HP does not. Just as an FYI I bought the Lehr 5 HP short shaft at West Marine during a sale which ended on Feb 17, for $1399. Normally $1699. I just checked WM and the sale has been extended until the 26th.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2007
Thanks for your replies. Ive previously used a forward only, small ob on an old boston whaler harpoon that was trailered. For occasional and recreational use, why would I need the reverse gear? What's the worst I would expect going with 2.5?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
With reverse gear there is a neutral. Some of the smaller forward only OBs don't have neutral. Adding the neutral and reverse increases he maneuverability of the dinghy.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I recently sold a 6HP Yamaha and purchased a 2.5 Suzuki
As an occasional weekend cruiser, I just need to get from the boat to the beach; no extensive runs for provisions, water, etc. The Suzuki 2.5 is a great little outboard that only weighs 29 lbs. It pushes the dinghy nicely; however, you definitely wont plane with it. For my needs it is great. Can carry it and maneuver it with one hand, without breaking your back. Has Forward-Neutral, but no reverse gear; the engine rotates 180 degrees for reverse thrust. Paid $744 including free shipping. There are several reviews on the Suzuki on the internet and You Tube. The Yamaha was indeed a very nice outboard; however, at 60 lbs it was too heavy to carry and maneuver on and off the boat without a mechanical hoist. Cost of the Yamaha was approximately $1700 including external tank and hose, It did have Forward-Neutral-Reverse gearing.
Unfortunately, there were no 2.5-3.5HP outboards that had a reverse gear. There are some 4 HP motors that have reverse; however, the weight is close to 60 lbs. In my opinion, unless you are a full time cruiser or have to traverse long distances to get to a mooring, the larger HP outboards are unnecessary. Light weight, ease of handling, and lower cost is paramount for occasional use.

Nov 30, 2007
Its interesting to see no mention of Torqeedo. Does anyone have a positive experience with electric propulsion?

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
I had a Nissan 3.5 (merc) with Forward only.

I thought it was Dangerous, and can not recommend it with small kids.

you pull the cord, and it starts IN GEAR. (engine spins 360 degrees).
No way would I want that once they get to be in the 8-10 year range... as you know they will want to use it.
I know the yamaha 4 had neutral. and didn't 'seem' very heavy.

IMHO, don't under estimate the danger of an outboard and kids... saw and heard of lots of accidents when I was young. (but before kill switches were mandatory).

-still... its not required to actually use the kill sw properly.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
We use a Honda 2hp. The newer Honda 2.3 has no reverse, but at idle the propeller stops. I wish I had that feature.
As for power, the two is plenty for our needs. In the San Juan Islands, 2 to 2.5 motors seem to dominate small dinghies. Most being Honda.

No Torqeedo experience, but previously used trolling type motors and the battery more than makes up for the weight savings, and charging it can be problematic. Having said all that, electrics always start if the battery has juice and they have no issues with E10 gas.

Ken