Mid Winter Cruise

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Okay weather gods, time for a break. Week of February 19th is sailing time, so heading out as soon as you get your fair weather things in order. Maybe Friday Harbor/Roche Harbor. First day or so likely Eagle Harbor/Pelican Beach. I'll see if John Lund is up to an excursion. Likely solo.

Maybe Hadley can join us, eh? Should be quiet on the water; few venture out but the most hardy this time of the year. I'll extend the invitation to other flotilla members. Must break those slip bonds to shake out the cobwebs.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
With the weather we've been having around here ? ? ? ?
Does Baileys come in the gallon size ? I'd suggest several.

Bailey's.jpg

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Or dark rum in hot coffee. I hear ya about the weather, still a "tad" of that pesky white stuff in my driveway and on deck on the boat.

Dec 25, 2000
All of our white stuff is gone, finally. Hung around forever. Nice today; high of 50 and mostly sunny. Prospects looking up for our mid winter cruise lest the weather gods decide to intervene and dash our hopes.

Many years ago on one of our anniversary outings we chose a dessert that was quite delicious. Do not remember the name, but it came in a large tumbler filled with half dark rum and half hot black coffee. The tumbler rim had candied sugar and the drink was topped with whipping cream.

Are you miss'n the SF weather yet? Must visit Maple Bay this season. Been by it on our way north through Samson Narrows, but...

Latest addition to Belle-Vie, a gift from one of my boating buddies. Must give it a try next week. Supposed to be very bright and emit a generous amount of heat. Aladdin Mantle Lamp. It is even on a gimbal.

Aladdin Mantle Lamp.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2000
Hi Stu, the admiral and I have been stewing over the recipe these past few hours trying to remember the name of the after dinner drink that so impressed us many years ago. For some reason my first thought was rum, but as we kicked it around more likely Kahlua and other stuff. This recipe is about as close as we can get to what it was; Flaming Irish Coffee:

http://www.food.com/recipe/flaming-irish-coffee-309966

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I'm interested, but I have just spent the past 3 days working on the electrical system. Unlikely iI can get back up for the fun on the 19th. Weather info for the NW. (From a Rufus report. He is a Farmer weather resource for the PacNW.) Looks like the last weekend for Feb will be cold but drier.

Monday February 13
The great break from the rainy cycle will hold another 24-36 hrs, then -- well, fill up your morning bev and let's peek ahead, shall we?
East winds out of the Columbia River Gorge will build early this week as yet another round of heavy precip moves in from the west. High pressure over the Columbia Basin drives that strong Gorge wind towards the low pressure to the west. The High to Low wind generator. Patrons east of Portland will get the brunt of the wind. Colder air east side may cause short-shot of freezing rain as the next wet front moves inland late Tue. Moderate-to-heavy RAIN Wed & Thu, along with blustery SW winds - esp late Wed for western OR, early Thu for the Puget Sound - as a 998 mb low tracks inside the 130 W longitude line. CA will also get in on the rainfall, which will not help the Oroville Dam situation. By Fri, it will quiet down over the PNW, with cooler air aloft moving in triggering scattered showers. The snow level will drop back down below 2,000 ft by early Sat morning.
As the weekend of Feb 18,19 gets under way, rain will continue to plague the Golden State, with news-making impact in southern CA. The PNW will dry down a tad with a chance for chilly showers into Sat, but rain will return by late Sunday with moderate-to-heavy amounts in the gauge on through Mon or Tue, Feb 20, 21. For CA, the amount of rainfall over northern CA - and yes, Oroville Dam watershed - will cause renewed & warranted concern for the structure of the Dam. This is a very serious situation. We can expect rain/showers on through Thu Feb 23.
Indications are for a colder & mostly dry period to return to the PNW starting the last weekend in February. Model solutions vary a little, with the overall pattern influenced by N-to-NE flow aloft. Yep, continental air that will have a winter feel. We are not seeing an Arctic outbreak in the Feb 24-27 period, just notably colder & frosty as compared to the previous week. It must be said that California will continue to get slammed by rain/wind. The models drive the heaviest rain into southern Cal during the weekend of Feb 25,26 - so watersheds in that portion of the state will have a water rush, not a gold rush.
Ponder Point: the long-range outlook continues to get 'teased' by some solutions bringing another COLD SNAP from the north interior into our region Feb 28-Mar 2. SNOW could be in play, yet again, west of the Cascades. No need for alarm, just a ponder point for now that merits consideration - it has peeked into the prog charts enough to give pause. Will March start out with a tapestry of snow?
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both." -Dwight D. Eisenhower 1953
-Rufus
Copyright © 2017 - All Rights Reserved - The Weather Café ®​

Dec 25, 2000
Just looked at the weather forecast for the next several days and I must say it appears pretty reasonable. A small amount of rain, but some sun breaks on the horizon. One day and counting. :thumbup:

Dec 25, 2000
Departed Shelter Bay Marina last Saturday, February 18 to spend several days on the water, weather permitting. Actually the day started out pretty nice; reasonable temperature, some sun breaks, but wind on the nose what little there was. First stop was Eagle Harbor to spend the night. Quiet night tied to a mooring ball with a single 5/8th inch three strand nylon line.

Sunday morning awoke to a strong easterly, which blew into the harbor a long fetch of rolling chop. Belle-Vie rocked and rolled all day, swaying back and forth, to and fro. Over the years I've made a practice of establishing land marks whether at anchor or on a mooring. I check those landmarks periodically depending upon sea state, as well as moorings and anchor set. I also make it a practice to back down on a mooring just to make sure that it will hold.

Two hours earlier I had checked the mooring line and it appeared fine, but in a two hour time frame the mooring ring cut through the line. I was below deck in the aft cabin just finishing an article when I glanced up to check my landmark and it was not there. Dashing up on deck found Belle-Vie adrift heading for the bottom of the harbor's shallow waters a short distance away, I light off the engine and bring the boat back into safe water. Whew! That was a close call.

Mid Winter Cruise 172.jpg

The wind was still blowing hard and lots of heavy chop a I tried to snag the mooring. My final try that worked was to secure the eye of my long dock line to the midship cleat, approach the mooring as if approaching a dock, got the line through the ring and secured it to the bow cleat in the nick of time. Then I worked the ring forward to the bow where I was able to secure a new mooring line, then released the midship line. This time I doubled up the mooring line leaving the backup line a bit slack and the primary carrying the load.

Belle-Vie's high freeboard makes it very difficult to secure a mooring line in a blow. The wind will push the bow away before you can get the line secured, and with a displacement of 35,000 pounds, no way you can hold on, even in gear. Even tried backing in, but no luck.

The wind finally died down late afternoon leading to a pleasant evening and restful sleep. Monday was off north around the top end of Cypress Island with a west heading toward Pevine Pass under sail in a moderate breeze across Rosario Strait.

Mid winter Cruise 173.jpg

Pevine Pass most always a dead zone in a northwesterly and even persisted on through Harney Channel, so ended up motoring. Typical island wind shadows.

Mid Winter Cruise 17.jpg
Mid Winter Cruise 17.jpg

At one point Blind Bay was going to be a mid point layover, but the day was still early, the ebb was an hour away, so Wasp Pass provides a north entrance to San Juan Channel, just north of Friday Harbor, my destination. Once I make the turn into San Juan Channel the favorable northwesterly returns for a nice leisurely sail south.

Mid Winter Cruise 174.jpg

Mid Winter Cruise 177.jpg

Mid Winter Cruise 178.jpg

Arrived Friday Harbor in due course will plenty of sun light left. My usual destination is the yacht club reciprocal dock at the end of "F" where the first night is free, with easy access to town.

Mid Winter Cruise 179.jpg

Mid Winter Cruise 1712.jpg

The whole purpose of the cruise, besides filling my sail tank, is a bacon cheeseburger deluxe with fries at Haley's across the street from King's Market.

Mid Winter Cruise 1714.jpg

The return part of the cruise was just as memorable. This time I did layover in Blind Bay across Harney Channel from the Orcas Island ferry landing. Had a nice sail beat up San Juan channel taking two tack changes to finally pinch into Wasp Pass entrance. Then back into the island wind shadows until reaching Rosario Strait.

Had plans to catch a mooring at Pelican Beach, but the easterly was bringing in a chop, so Eagle Harbor was a better choice. Just got back today, Friday, February 24 where cold weather was the order of the day just about every day. Wallas was running most of the time keeping below decks warm and inviting. Yesterday stayed overnight at Anacortes Yacht Club reciprocal dock in Cap Sante. Had sailing friends over for a beef stroganoff dinner on Belle-Vie.

One of the better and more quiet times of the year to go sailing absent other boaters to interfere with finding crowded places to anchor or tie up. Spring cruise next time up before the season begins in earnest.

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
Nice write up Terry. Was able to follow along on the chart from my 2017 Waggoner guide. Helps to see the passages. Your spot on with the wind shadow challenge. Sometimes it is feast or famine. When the wind comes straight down between the islands it seems to accelerate but make a turn around a headland and you feel becalmed. Then there are the tides.

Great start to your season.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Wow Terry! I've had some interesting times on moorings, but nothing like that. I do check the line quite often always with no problems and I also use a braided line. Not as stretchy as 3 strand but wondering if it makes a difference.....

Oct 22, 2014
Wonder if a piece of fire hose would have helped reduce or eliminate the chafing event. Looks like the action sawed through the rope.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
When I use a mooring ball I always use two lines , each looped through the eye back to the same side it leaves from. If the boat saws back and forth the line doesn't chafe. Makes me rest easier.

Dec 25, 2000
When I use a mooring ball I always use two lines , each looped through the eye back to the same side it leaves from. If the boat saws back and forth the line doesn't chafe. Makes me rest easier.
Good idea Michael. Must give it a try. Seems chafe would be greatly reduced.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Hi Terry
My I.C.C. instructor insisted on this. As he had already circumnavigated a couple of times I took him at his word.
Mike

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Terry, boat disp is 35000 lbs? Seems kinda heavy so I looked it up and sailboatdata.com states 20500 which seems right as our Gulfstarr 44 was ~24000 lbs......or did you you mean 24?