Is a Dousing Sock Necessary?

Jun 13, 2010
Hunter 1994 Hunter 35.5 Legend walker, mn
I am looking at asymmetrical spinnakers for a 1994 35.5 hunter legend....I had one on a cape dory 22 and the sock was a hassle(could have been operator error)...It wasn't consistent seem to jam and overall was a pita.....I took it off of the sail and never used it again...Granted the 22footer is a much smaller sail but what are your experiences and thoughts on using an asymmetrical spinnaker with or without a sock...thanks...

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
The boat I race on has no sock, we launch it from it's bag on the bow pulpit and as long as there are two crew to get it down into the cabin in some sort of organized chaos in case it needs to be launched again it's no problem what so ever. On my nearly 1200 sf Asym chute with Otto helming, I need a sock.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
I have one on my asym on the First 310. it is handy when it's just me and my wife flying it. But, I'd rather not have it and would not have it if I was full race mode with sufficient crew. Having it takes longer to set the sail and douse it than it would without it, given sufficient crew.

Jun 13, 2010
Hunter 1994 Hunter 35.5 Legend walker, mn
I should have added that this will be for cruising, not racing....so time isn't a big factor

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Cruising is the reason the sock was invented. Takes most all the drama out of using the beast, and turns if off real skippy if someone forgets how to drive.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Above about say 800 sqr/ft they become a great idea for short handed crew.

Fully crewed or racing, socks are a PITA.

Sep 22, 2009
Hunter 36 Seattle, WA
The older, round-mouthed socks can be a PITA. The oval-mouthed ones do an excellent job of sail gathering on our asym for our Hunter 36. For two-handed cruising, it's a must for us.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
The guy is balking at the cost of a sock lads, don't think you are going to sell him on a furler.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Didn't have a sock on my CT-37 (1346sf) and it was a PITA for just the 2 of us . New boat has a sock but haven't had a chance to fly it yet but I think it will be much easier short handed.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
The guy is balking at the cost of a sock lads, don't think you are going to sell him on a furler.
I did not see mention of cost only advice on the benefits, but yes top down is a great feature but at a cost.

Dec 18, 2012
Hunter 37.5 Annapolis
I suggest try it with no sock, then buy a sock later if you feel you need it. I plan on doing that on my 37.5, once my house and cars stop consuming my spinnaker dollars (latest: new clutch on an Acura TL, just over one spinnaker).

We had an asymmetric on a 1990 30-g with no sock. Never a problem. To douse In any wind, I'd blow the tack line, grab the sheet and pull it down the companionway, then stuff it in the launching bag, and running the tapes later.

Paul

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
We had an asymmetric on a 1990 30-g with no sock. Never a problem. To douse In any wind, I'd blow the tack line, grab the sheet and pull it down the companionway, then stuff it in the launching bag, and running the tapes later.

Paul
That sounds like a good way to douse it. Will have to try that approach. I have a love/hate relationship with my sock! :biggrin:

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
One end of a sail whipping in the wind never sounds good to me. But have at it.

Dec 18, 2012
Hunter 37.5 Annapolis
One end of a sail whipping in the wind never sounds good to me. But have at it.
I was going to say that it gets loud after you release the tack line. It can't be good for the sail, but it may not be that bad for it. This mirrors how we've pulled down symmetrical spinnakers on most race boats I've crewed on.

Another thing to coincider is that you may be pulling the chute in over the released spin halyard, so you have to keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't tangle in the sail. And, of course, the halyard has to be flaked properly to make sure it runs free.

I had a sock years ago on a 1983 C&C 29. During one long run the sock somehow got caught at the masthead. It took me half an hour to get the sail down in a building wind. I took the sock off and never used it again. I think that if you don't use a sock, most problems with the sail will be manageable at deck level.

I am intrigued by spinnaker furlers, but I'll wait to see if I can live without one.

Paul

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Yes, but it shouldn't be loud for long or something isn't being done correctly. Yes, same drill as we've done with the symmetrical but a little more free on the tack end.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
I'd not try cruising with an asym with out a sock. Tried it numerous times without and it just is not worth the effort. With a sock it is pretty brainless. Also allows dousing in short order if needed, like if the wind pipes up during that summer thunderstorm.