What are these holes?

Oct 8, 2016
O'DAY 22 East End Yacht Club
I'm new to this boat and I'm not sure what these holes are for. This compartment is in the port side cockpit bench seat. I think this is where the fuel tank is supposed to go for the outboard but I wonder about the holes.
This is a 1977 O'Day 22 that I am becoming acquainted with during the off season.

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Is there anything behind them? You would not want holes between the gas tank and cabin area- that's a no-no. On my B323 I find I can improve ventilation in the port quarterberth if I open the stbd lazz lid in the cockpit. Air flows in the area under, and aft of, the cockpit molding.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
That is the fuel locker. However, you are missing a panel on the front facing the cockpit. Typically, it's a fiberglass panel screwed in to the recesses. There is a 2" or so gap at the bottom, so you could bring the fuel hose out, and also so that the fuel area is open to the cockpit. On the Precision line of sailboats (Precision 18, Precision 21, etc.) they screw teak slats across the fuel locker. Pretty, but more wood to finish and take care of.

Those ports were installed to give access, possibly to the transom in order to install that horn cleat. When screwed in, they would seal off from the cabin areas below. My fuel locker is on the starboard side, and folks often put the deck plate on the aft side of the locker, so that they can access the bolts for the motor mount, in the event that it needs replaced.

Oct 8, 2016
Thank you Brian! That missing Panel was a piece of plywood that is delaminating. I will put some of that 1/2" thick white synthetic paneling I see at Home depot there instead. It is supposed to be good for outdoor use and it is an easy spot to monitor its condition. I think the original part may of had been hinged on the bottom.
I bought a piece of "Starboard" for the entrance hatch to the Cabin and that is kind of expensive material so now I have an excuse to try something else.
I'm also in the middle of replacing the core in the transom so I can see how having access ports up there would make those plates accessible for maintenance purposes.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Why not try a piece of ply covered with vinyl wrap. The same stuff they use on cars. If the vinyl wrap can handle the environment on a car, it sure can handle the environment on a boat.

The wrap is easy to apply. If you go that route, get the wrap with self adhesive on one side. Apply the wrap and then use a hair dryer to get the wrap to shrink a little and get it to stick better.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I see two eyes, two nostrils, lips and a flat top haircut.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I HAVE BEEN ON THE LOOKOUT FOR TRASHED DISHWASHERS. THEY HAVE THE REMOVABLE FRONT PANELS. THERE ARE A FEW COLORS, BUT IF YOU'RE LUCKY YOU CAN FIND THE STAINLESS, FOR WHAT THEY ARE WORTH.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Could only find 2 pictures that show the fuel locker in my 192:

IMG_2283.jpg
IMG_3700.jpg

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Looks like the inside of the sandblaster booth. Arms come through the holes from the other side and there should be rubber gloves attached.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
That horn cleat is stock from the factory. Usually y use these inspection ports added to the aft bulkhead of the fuel locker for access to the outboard bracket bolts, but most 22s had the bracket mounted to starboard not port.
Anyway, pics of original setup from my collection of O'DAY 22 images. I've never seen that panel hinged from the factory, might be an owner modification. Top hatch was hinged. This fuel tank locker was phased in on the 22 during the 1977 Model year (in case anyone with an older boat was wondering why their boat doesn't have it)

Attachments

Oct 8, 2016
Thanks for those pictures Sunbird. What is keeping that Wooden Panel from kicking out at the bottom when the cover is down?
One of those pictures shows the Cabin entry panels. I'm cutting new ones from a piece of Starboard but I was going to make it two piece but your picture seems to indicate at least 3 pieces. I wonder what was the original design?

Jun 2, 2004
Those panels appear to have been screwed in place, note what look like screw holes in the pics with the panel (or slats) missing. I don't know how many sections the original pen boards (aka: companionway slides, washboards, cabin entry panels) were cut into, O'DAY never really mentioned that in their literature (I know on our 1970 CAL 21 it was one-piece, my Dad made an alternate one that he made as 3-piece). Rudy at D&R might know, but really...... 1-piece, 2-piece, 3-piece.... it's your choice..... One-piece panel could be tucked under the V-berth cushion when not in place, 3-piece might be easier to stow in cabin or cockpit locker than a 1-pc. We had a neat rack that my Dad built for stowing the 3-pc slide on our CAL, picture below.

Attachments

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
I think you have your answer, but for what its worth Ive seen LOTS of holes just like the ones you have there... they are your basic "access" holes... they make them in many different sizes to fit about anywhere on the boat that you need one;)...

Feb 25, 2017
Oday 22 Portland CT
Hi Guys- First post. Roy do you have the resessed front hatch or the one that sticks out? I have a 78 with the recessed hatch. Just wondering when they started them. I have one access port in the fuel locker, looks to me its just to access bolts. I'm going to have to install another one to put on a stern Ladder.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
If you install a panel,not slats, I suggest do not hinge the bottom,keep it removable for scrubbing and cleaning and rinse out.

Oct 8, 2016
Hi Guys- First post. Roy do you have the resessed front hatch or the one that sticks out? I have a 78 with the recessed hatch. Just wondering when they started them. I have one access port in the fuel locker, looks to me its just to access bolts. I'm going to have to install another one to put on a stern Ladder.
Here's a picture I took this afternoon, Please excuse the mess I've been grinding and sanding on the Hull and Transom to make her seaworthy by the time April comes.

Attachments

Jun 2, 2004
Hi Guys- First post. Roy do you have the resessed front hatch or the one that sticks out? I have a 78 with the recessed hatch. Just wondering when they started them. .
The flush-fit forward hatch was phased in during the 1977 model year, near as I can tell. Fuel Tank locker molded into cockpit was also phased in during the 1977 model year (apparently a new deck mold was created and it included both of these features).
BTW: The 23-2 had these from the start (1977), on the 25 they were added in 1979 model year, again.... appears new deck mold was created.

Oct 8, 2016
Hi Mark,
Perhaps you can help with an interior part I need to obtain / make. The interior of my 1977 O'Day 22 is mostly non existent and I have become aware that there is a post or column in the cabin directly under the mast that acts as support for the mast and as a side post for the port side cabin bulkhead. Is it possible I could drive over to see what you have or could you send me some pics and measurements so I can make this part? Pictures of how it attaches to the floor and roof would be helpful too. Anything you can do for me would really be appreciated!

Feb 25, 2017
Oday 22 Portland CT
Roy I've removed my bulkheads and am going to install a Compression post to support the mast. All that was used on mine was a piece of molding that was attached to the bulkhead. I don't think it really gave much support. I plan on installing a stainless steel compression post where the molding was. Also the bulkheads weren't even really touching the interior ceiling so I don't think they gave much support. Here's a before and after shot of what I'm doing. I'm not sure about the new bunk I'm making, I might just make a single sideways lounge type chair, might be more comfortable and give easier access to the front. I'm moving the chainplates to outside the hull as well. Opening up the cabin without the bulkheads makes a big difference.

Attachments

Last edited: