New V222 Owner and New to the forum

Jan 25, 2017
Macgregor V222 Kentucky Lake
I was recently given a V222 (I believe it's a 1978) though I'm not sure. The boat has been dry for years as it was stored in doors. I've owned several sailboats (Oday 19, Salt Marine 19, Sun Fish and Hobie Cat to name a few) I was particularrly excited to get started on my latest winter project. I have a few questions for Mac V222 Owners:

1). The mast step - though mine looks fine, it seems a bit unsubstantial for the size mast used. There is no backing plate in the cabin. Is this normal? There is a compression post... and there doesn't seem to be any modifications (in other words it looks original). I may add some pics later... but, just wondering if this is normal for the model?

2). Oh the keel... well need I say more. It's starting to de-lamenate based on my first inspection. The idea of re-glassing it doesn't bother me and in fact I've found many threads on the subject. Just seems to be unavoidable. But, my question is there any harm in running for a season while I take on other immediate needs? Can it damage the trunk?

I'll add some pictures soon and am certain I'll have many more questions. Thanks and fair sailing...

Apr 4, 2016
Mac Venture222 LarsenCove
Hi,
I " rescued" a V222 ( 75ish) last spring
From what I have learned from my boat and from the group : your keel is either a slab of iron
or 3 pieces fiberglassed together.
The fiberglassed version is worse as it swells when water gets into it - and then will get stuck in the keel trunk .
Regarding the mast :
What you see is what you get ...
The compression post is just tied in with one of the bolts of the mast step - and I had only simple washers under the nuts..
Check for cracks - mine had cracks around the bolt holes and rotted the plywood core away - I had to cut the section out and re- glassed it completely..
Good luck
D

Jan 25, 2017
Thanks Maountainvet... as far as the mast step goes, it appears to be fine with no structural compromises around or near the point where the step attaches to the deck. So I assume everything is good to go there. Though I may eventually reinforce the area with a backplate.

The keel is another matter. It does move in the trunk slightly so I don't think it's stuck. I'll be paying a bit more attention to it in the near future and will add some photos. The lock bolt was bent into a nearly U shape and clearly had pressure places on it more than once. I guess the only way to really know is dive in and drop the keel.

I'll keep you updated and will add pictures soon. Overall, I can't complain. I got the boat for free so any investment would be worth it. The sails look very nice and there was a brand new pop up top canvas and cover...

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
Congratulations on your new Mac. As MountainVet mentioned delaminating only really becomes a problem when the keel gets stuck in the trunk. Having said that, if it actually is a 1978 it should have a cast-iron keel which does away with the delaminating issue entirely. Macgregor did away with the laminated keels around 1973. You can verify the year by comparing the hull ID number to this website http://www.wadler.org/boat-mac/hullid.php .

As for the mast step, the vast majority of the stresses are taken up by the forstay and the shrouds. The mast step sees no upward force and very little side forces or twisting forces. The only significant force is in compression which is directed straight down through the step and the deck and into the compression post.

Apr 4, 2016
Mac Venture222 LarsenCove
Todd, uou were luckier than I am - I payed for my project a few 100 CAN $ , but that is ok - I learned how to sow sails and seat cushions, fiberglass work. wood work and electrical installation ;)

Re keel :
I would support keel in area under the keel bolt and check the bolt - and eventually replace it .
That is the critical part and if you loose your keel - you loose your boat ...
Have fun
D

Jan 25, 2017
Thanks guys! I appreciate you taking the time to chat. I'll double check the year with the HIN (thanks for the info Bud) this weekend. On the subject of the keel; a couple of things... I will check the integrity of the pivot bolt soon. As stated, the lock bolt was actually nearly a U shape when I removed it. So it's clearly taken some hits. Though I can only see the edge (as it's in the trunk) I can clearly see some "chunks" of fiberglass filling that appear loose and are exposed. So, perhaps it's not a 78. I'll confirm that this weekend. I'm investigating various ways to remove it if needed and am leaning toward removing it in a shallow bay this summer or fall... sail as is and address it if needed, next winter. I have access to a nice, shallow bay where I think I could lower and drop it into the mud then wrestle it to shore... to put it back in just reverse the project. Though it might be a little harder to place back in versus taking it out... that seems to me to be pretty strait forward. I know it's 475 lbs but I think a couple of grown men may be able to handle it... More later and pictures to come.

Feb 5, 2010
MacGregor 25 Oroville, WA
The keel pivot bolt is below the water line, so removing the keel must be done on the hard. Lots of info in these forums on how to do it.

Jan 25, 2017
She isn't a 78 and nothing is free! I looked for a HIN with no luck today. Based on the shape of the keel I'm going to guess she is pre 1973. Looks like I have a lot of work ahead of me. But before I dive in a few questions and a few pictures. The keel is in much worse shape than I would have thought, it's missing large chunks but, doesn't appear to be stuck in the trunk. The pivot bolt appears to have had fiberglass placed over it in an effort to stop a leak. So, like with every restoration, one must try and figure out what happened before you got your "free boat." My guess is her previous owner never bothered to inspect her keel and it was so wrecked or "misformed" that it caused the keel to twist in the trunk. This caused the pivot bolt to leak. So, instead of getting to the bottom of it... he through some cloth and resin over the bolt and kept sailing with a wreck of a keel. I may be getting in way over my head, but I like the boat and I'm pretty good with fiberglass and resin so here we go...
Venture222Restoration03.jpg

unnamed.jpg

keel01.jpg

Apr 19, 2012
Good luck Todd. Keep us informed. I knew little about restoring boats before I started. Check out the book "Fix it and Sail." It's available free as a .PDF. His example is a Mac 222.

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Hi TA, Your going to have to remove the keel and reglass. Did this with our '71 V-222. I did this by supporting stern with two oil drums and 2 x 4 padded with old carpet and jacking up front, or find a couple of trees and throw a 4x4 across and lift with a strap and coffing hoist, and rolling trailer from under, then I built a cart with heavy casters and vertical supports to hold keel in place, rolled from under yacht;)and repaired. Depending on what year??? Hull # will either be drilled into strake under cockpit seat on starboard side, or stamped into transom on starboard stern. If you have original main # will be on sail. Send picks of interior. Welcome to the Legion of the Damned. So what if the kids don't have money for college?

Jan 25, 2017
Hi TA, Your going to have to remove the keel and reglass. Did this with our '71 V-222. I did this by supporting stern with two oil drums and 2 x 4 padded with old carpet and jacking up front, or find a couple of trees and throw a 4x4 across and lift with a strap and coffing hoist, and rolling trailer from under, then I built a cart with heavy casters and vertical supports to hold keel in place, rolled from under yacht;)and repaired. Depending on what year??? Hull # will either be drilled into strake under cockpit seat on starboard side, or stamped into transom on starboard stern. If you have original main # will be on sail. Send picks of interior. Welcome to the Legion of the Damned. So what if the kids don't have money for college?

Hello Freedom 77... Thanks so much for the information. As stated I'm pretty sure it's a pre-1973 as I can find no Hull ID #... good call on the main. I think I may have it so I'll take a look. The project doesn't scar me as it's my third restoration. Though I suspect to bust a few knuckles... We are sanding and scraping the interior now to be ready to paint in the next couple of months... I'll keep the group on the look and post many pics... Cheers!

Todd

Apr 19, 2012
We are sanding and scraping the interior now to be ready to paint in the next couple of months...
This itself tells me that you're right about being a pre '73. In 1974 they replaced the plywood interior with fiberglass liners.

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
TA, did you see post by SA on 1/18 about 22 being parted out on craigs list. Might be worth looking at for keel replacement.

Jan 25, 2017
TA, did you see post by SA on 1/18 about 22 being parted out on craigs list. Might be worth looking at for keel replacement.

I'll take a look... might be worth it. I'm not super worried about he job... I know I can do the glass work... getting it in and out worries me a little...