Mi Amor restoration

Jan 24, 2017
Chrysler C26 Lake Sakakaweea
Got a lot done even though I popped a rib out of place. Very painful if you have not had it before. I manufactured the salon partitions, mast compression post, and got it all stained and finished. matched the original better than I thought it would. I took the cabin sliding hatch off as it was in need of a total rebuild. The rails were a total loss. The other teak trim I managed to save. I found some pvc trim material that will work for the slides, and I also found some bamboo on sale that really looks good. I am going to use it for the rails on the hatch. I think I might also go back and get some more and make a floor in the salon as well as help out my hatch boards. I think I can plane them down and attach the bamboo to the outside and keep the teak to the inside. I can also make a better lip this way to keep the weather out. The table is back installed so now I can lower the keel and change the wire rope. Next step is to drill out and fill all the holes, reseal the top hull joint, then reinstall the gun rails. Be a busy day tomorrow and Sunday.

Dan

Attachments

Feb 3, 2017
Hunter 25.5 Lake Thurmond, South Carolina
Got a lot done even though I popped a rib out of place. Very painful if you have not had it before. I manufactured the salon partitions, mast compression post, and got it all stained and finished. matched the original better than I thought it would. I took the cabin sliding hatch off as it was in need of a total rebuild. The rails were a total loss. The other teak trim I managed to save. I found some pvc trim material that will work for the slides, and I also found some bamboo on sale that really looks good. I am going to use it for the rails on the hatch. I think I might also go back and get some more and make a floor in the salon as well as help out my hatch boards. I think I can plane them down and attach the bamboo to the outside and keep the teak to the inside. I can also make a better lip this way to keep the weather out. The table is back installed so now I can lower the keel and change the wire rope. Next step is to drill out and fill all the holes, reseal the top hull joint, then reinstall the gun rails. Be a busy day tomorrow and Sunday.

Dan
Looking good, mate! Keep up the good work.

Jan 24, 2017
Plenty done today, I am going with all Bamboo on the exterior because I want it all to match so it does not look so cobbled together. The bamboo turned out really nice I think it will look pretty good. Hard as nails though. I have a pile of Shavings from the teak companion way hatch boards so I am going to use it for filler when I drill out and fill the holes. Should get the interior basically completed tomorrow. Then I have to order supplies to tackle the windows. The companion way hatch lid rails turned out really nice. I have to sand off the finish and oil them up then they will be complete.

Attachments

Jan 24, 2017
Here is the hatch board. you can see that I ended up with the extra benefit of a cleaner look inside as the old teak covered the aluminum frame. This hatch is supper strong and plenty heavy. Not to mention it is going to be very weather tight. Bamboo on the outside, Teak on the inside. I need sleep, I have to get the shop cleaned back up before the boss sees it. :)

Attachments

Jan 24, 2017
Long weekend. Maybe two more to go. Interior is starting to look like a boat again. I found some old maple boards from a bleacher. They planed down nice, now I have two piles of shavings to use. I am going to use the maple to make some knee joints for the chain plates and get rid of the small aluminum angle brackets. actually I got rid of almost all of the little brackets in the boat. They just looked tacky.

Dan

Attachments

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Looks great, you will have lots of satisfaction and pride when she is done!

Jan 24, 2017
Thanks, I'm going for anything better than,"I'm not getting in that" from the wife.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
It will all be good when you show her the finished product!

Jan 24, 2017
Thanks, I just got done with the cabin hatch. time for some sleep. at least now the inside will not get wet anymore.

Attachments

Jan 24, 2017
These are the bushings for the rudder. Are they proprietary or are they available at an online store

Attachments

Jan 24, 2017
Funny how much faster it dries out when you remove the wet wood.:banghead:I am making some modifications to the cockpit. I have a generator that will go in the back hatch (which will be modified), along with 4 batteries. I have pvc tubes to connect the drains direct to the exterior and the motor mount is gone. I shortened the port locker to accommodate the new rear locker. this will be just for needy things in a hurry. My power is coming from two 80 thrust electric motors with controls mounted in the cockpit. Big day tomorrow got sleep, Dan

Attachments

Jan 24, 2017
Some pleasant some not. The core was a little wet but intact, only one chainplate core was totally ate out. This was on the rear, and kinda funny the other side was totally dry. I think I am going to dry it out from the inside because this gets covered up anyway. You can see from the pics I drilled out a 2" hole that will be filled with epoxy and should cure this problem in the future. Also I made some knee braces, (that still need to be fiberglassed in.) The aft cleats also got this treatment. I made a totally new base for the For-deck. The chainplates will get fabricated aluminum plates drilled and tapped instead of the stupid little nuts and washers, these will be backed up with jam nuts. The rudder gets some work also I am going to fill it the wood that rotted out with fiberglass and my pile of Teak shavings. Sending the SS plate to the welders on Monday I think I am going to have them weld on a little plate over the crack that is on both sides. Someone from the Chrysler board let me know where to get the bushings for the rudder. (I still cannot sign on that site because of technical issues). They were not cheap at $45.00 each.

Attachments