Winter project

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
Ive been slowly upgrading things within the cabin of my O 240. I figured working on the boat will speed up winter. I never cared for the original white laminate counter top. Made a new countertop and shelves. I made a slide out drawer for the stove. I purchased an electric self priming faucet to replace the hand pump faucet. I will have to report back on that. Unable to test it due to freezing temperatures. So far I like the way things have been turning out. Just thought I would share.

Thanks

Attachments

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Do you plan to cook on the stove shelf pulled out? Are the sliders strong enough to do that? If you are going to do that, is there a chance that it could slide back in while lit? Countertop looks great, is that cherry plywood? At least cherry stain, I guess?

Dec 27, 2012
The shelf is strong enough to cook on. The slides are pretty durable, rated for 50 pounds. I do have concerns of it sliding back while cooking. I have to figure out a way to lock it in both the out and in position.

The countertop is birch laminated plywood. The stain was a mixture. I tried to match the existing interior tone. I wasn't able to match it but close enough. I mixed 1/3 min wax Sedona red and 2/3 Golden Pecan.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
You make me very envious. I'd love to have a 240... And a truck that could tow it. I could live on a 240 for a week or two on vacations!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
countertop is birch laminated plywood
Very pretty work. Any concern about the birch getting stained, wet, damaged when a pot falls as the holder braces them self as a wave passes under the boat? I've been thinking about a counter top job but looking at a hard durable surface material. Thoughts?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
You could apply a hard polyurethane finish over it. I will be interested to see how you secure the drawer. When the sailing gets sporty, everything below starts moving :eek:

Dec 27, 2012
The countertop was kind of an experiment for me. I sealed it with epoxy. It was the first time I used epoxy. It provides a thick durable protective coat. I've read online that it is vulnerable to UV. I don't think that would be a problem since its in the cabin.

As far as securing the sliding drawer. I'm thinking about drilling a hole for a removable wooden dowel. The dowel could be used as a stop. The drawer doesn't slide very easily so I may wait and see if it's needed. I only use the stove when anchored or at the dock. It normally gets used to heat water or cook breakfast.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Very good looking work! The epoxy will eventually yellow from UV, even in the interior (however it will take longer). It looks like you haven't bedded down the sink or faucet yet, so here is a good way to add UV protection and keep the same look; Lightly sand the epoxy with 120 or 150 grit to dull it out, wipe with a tack cloth. Use Epifanes high gloss varnish to give it some UV protection. You will only need two coats for an interior surface, exterior wood gets a minimum of 6. Its not expensive and even Walmart has it now (at least on their website anyway). Use a good quality brush but you don't need a super expensive one, the varnish has very nice self leveling properties. Keep in mind, it takes months to reach a full hard cure so I'd apply the two coats and let it cure until spring before bedding the sink and faucet.
Good luck with the locking mechanism on the shelf sliders... its a great idea and I'm sure everyone here has their fingers crossed that you will get it sorted out. Again, great work.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Very good looking work! The epoxy will eventually yellow from UV, even in the interior (however it will take longer). It looks like you haven't bedded down the sink or faucet yet, so here is a good way to add UV protection and keep the same look; Lightly sand the epoxy with 120 or 150 grit to dull it out, wipe with a tack cloth. Use Epifanes high gloss varnish to give it some UV protection. You will only need two coats for an interior surface, exterior wood gets a minimum of 6. Its not expensive and even Walmart has it now (at least on their website anyway). Use a good quality brush but you don't need a super expensive one, the varnish has very nice self leveling properties. Keep in mind, it takes months to reach a full hard cure so I'd apply the two coats and let it cure until spring before bedding the sink and faucet.
Good luck with the locking mechanism on the shelf sliders... its a great idea and I'm sure everyone here has their fingers crossed that you will get it sorted out. Again, great work.
Make sure your epoxy cures for at least a week, 2 weeks better, before varnishing or painting. Clean well with scotchbrite pad and soapy water to remove any potential amine blush. Amine blush will prevent your varnish hardening. I tried to use a good quality badger hair brush for brightwork, but I found I could never get it clean, and then next coat would get little flakes of varnish that break off the bristles. I've since become a heretic and moved on to good quality foam brushes from Jamestown Distributors. I feel they allow me better control over how much varnish I lay down, which helps reduce drips and sags, which is not as much a concern for a flat countertop. And when I'm done with a coat, I don't have to try to clean the brush.

Apr 4, 2013
O'day 240 NY, NY (City Island)
Nice!! Can I ask... is that the original sink, or did you find a replacement? I don't think I'll be replacing the countertop anytime soon, but my original sink has a lot of pits and rust stains and I haven't been able to locate a replacement that would fit in the existing cutout.

Winter project for my 240 is a tiller pilot... will let you know how that goes.

Dec 27, 2012
Sorry Greg, it's the original sink.

I would love to have an auto tiller. Let me know how it works out for you.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Sorry Greg, it's the original sink.

I would love to have an auto tiller. Let me know how it works out for you.
With regards to tiller pilots, I hear that for smaller boats, it's best to go with the Raymarine ST2000, though you might think the ST1000. (I think it was the Raymarines.) The reason is that the ST2000 is stronger and faster actuating, which isn't a bad thing.

Apr 4, 2013
I actually went for a Simrad TP-10 because I was able to get a good deal on a used one. Will let you know how it goes.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
My comments regarding upping to the next level tillerpilot might apply to Simrad, not Raymarines. A working used unit at lower cost trumps theoretical debates on which model is better! :D:D:D

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Brian, your comment on upping to the ST2000 is correct and yes, it is Raymarine who has the ST1000 and ST2000.
I do agree a good deal on a used one over rules and discussion on which is better.

Dec 27, 2012
I'm finally done with the interior woodwork for the season. I just made a new table and installed it. Know I'm finally working on the outside. Another month before splashing in.

Attachments

Apr 4, 2013
Just the usual waxing/detailing or planning anything major for the outside?

Dec 27, 2012
Hello Greg, the normal compound, polish and wax. I just got done replacing the monstrous port side plexi window. The one on it had a few cracks and started leaking last season. The new one looks so good I feel As though I should replace the other. Maybe next year.

Apr 4, 2013
Setting the standard for the rest of the 240 fleet, Mark! Take a few more pics when it's in the water... would love to see how it looks.

Jan 22, 2009
O'day 240 Muskegon
Someone ahead of me apparently gutted out the cabinets of my O240 and replaced with real wood. Or was there an upgrade offered??

image.jpeg