Exturn Bow Thruster Installed on Hunter 40

Jul 2, 2013
Hunter 40 MD
I wanted to share this with people who had an interest in installing an Exturn on their boat.
I have a 1985 Hunter 40, I installed the Exturn 300.
1. Install of the thruster took about 2 hours (measure twice cut once)
a. One 2” hole
b. Two ¾” holes
2. Installed 2 new Optima Batteries under the front bench seat
3. Wired up
All together install took about two days, with two people. I could do another one now in half the time. The only parts purchased outside of what came from Exturn were the batteries and battery cable. Called the sales rep a few times to double check a few items and hew was very helpful and always available.
Workings
The thruster is working great, it pushes the Bow around much faster and smoother than I expected. There is no drag issues while underway; it seems pretty unlikely to snag anything on it. All in All I am pleased with the product and would install on a future boat. I also have the remote option, I don’t even use the joystick wired directly, although it is there just in case something happens to the remote.
If you have any questions I will do my best to answer them. I’m not interested in your opinion of why or why not install one, we all have differing opinions on everything, and it shouldn’t be your concern on what I spend my money on.

Attachments

May 25, 2004
Catalina 400 mkII Harbor
thanks for sharing, that looks pretty sweet!!! though my money says you measured more than twice!

mike

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
thanks for this post-I have been wondering about this product and how it might work /suit my H42! I may now do the same at the next haul out!
thank you !

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Very concerned about service, etc.

I wanted to share this with people who had an interest in installing an Exturn on their boat.
I have a 1985 Hunter 40, I installed the Exturn 300.
1. Install of the thruster took about 2 hours (measure twice cut once)
a. One 2” hole
b. Two ¾” holes
2. Installed 2 new Optima Batteries under the front bench seat
3. Wired up
All together install took about two days, with two people. I could do another one now in half the time. The only parts purchased outside of what came from Exturn were the batteries and battery cable. Called the sales rep a few times to double check a few items and hew was very helpful and always available.
Workings
The thruster is working great, it pushes the Bow around much faster and smoother than I expected. There is no drag issues while underway; it seems pretty unlikely to snag anything on it. All in All I am pleased with the product and would install on a future boat. I also have the remote option, I don’t even use the joystick wired directly, although it is there just in case something happens to the remote.
If you have any questions I will do my best to answer them. I’m not interested in your opinion of why or why not install one, we all have differing opinions on everything, and it shouldn’t be your concern on what I spend my money on.
I had seriously considered installing this in a stern thruster application.
Before cutting holes in the boat, I knew it was imperative to get reliable technical information from Exturn.
Their sales ethics & technical support was a joke.
They made 3 different proposals, each time saying the one before it was "done in error"
They also said they had "many" Hunter stern thruster customers. So, I pushed them for references, only to get more "oops, guess we made a mistake", response.
I finally told them that I would only consider doing this, if they guaranteed me that they would refund my money, and pay for patching the holes if it didn't work. At that point they wouldn't even return my emails.
So, in summary their sales & technical advice was a real "gong show".
Do your homework before taking their word on this product.

Feb 13, 2016
macgreggor venture 224 ohio river
Awesome, we was talking about getting a bigger boat in 2 years and that was my number 1 rule, bow thruster. just curious does it draw that much power to need two batteries or they powering other things too.