C30 MkII vs. MkIII

Feb 19, 2013
OPB nunyet St. Pete/Gulfport FL
Looking at a couple of C30s for daysailing and coastal cruising in western FL.

One is a '89 TRBS/WK. Structurally sound, systems working, not fancy but clean. Lines back to cockpit, ST winches. Air draft 49' (so I'm told). Lacks a swim platform, which we'd want to add.

The other is a '00 TR/WK. Newer boat with integral swim scoop/platform. Also appears to be sound & clean, and has more stuff/creature comforts, as newer boats do.

Asking price for #1 is about half that of #2, but both are within budget. I realize the condition of individual older boats is huge, but both look good to my eye, and I'll get a pre-purchase survey regardless.

I'm looking for informed opinions about the salient differences between these models of C30, preferably from owners/POs and others with sailing experience on one or both. Assume regular maintenance, but no major refits of either boat from stock.

Also - if you've added a swim platform to an older C30 or a comparable boat without a walk-through transom, I'd like to hear about that too.

Thanks!

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
The 89 is an MKII, not I. Difference is T shaped cockpit to better accommodate the wheel steering. Just sayin.

Know nothing about the III's. My MKI is a great boat, but under-powered diesel for the ocean. the II has double the HP 49 feet is correct on the tall rig. I would go with the walk thru if it is in your budget.

Jan 6, 2010
Joe,

At first I was confused about "49' air draft". Simply put, it's the height of the mast AWL.
Both boats look to have potential however as a potential buyer,
to make the best choice can cost you upfront money in the way of a surveyor/haulout yard.

I sail out of Mad Beach so, depending on where you berth, draft can also make a difference.
Know your area's constraints before you know what boat to buy.

Bill Brown (I like to refer to him as, All day Brown" is a great surveyor to use).
What type keel/draft, etc. does it have? I do know Catalina had a short run of wing keels.
My friend's boat is a Newport 30 with a wing.

Having sailed wing keeled boats, I myself, would much rather have a winged keel.......

Good Hunting Pal.

CR

Feb 19, 2013
OPB nunyet St. Pete/Gulfport FL
John VTX - yes, the '89 is a MarkII; sorry for the typo. Made the change in the thread title. Thanks for noticing, lol.

captnron - each boat has the wing keel (WK), which I believe became the C30 standard keel from '88 or so. Both boats are within a couple of hours of me, and I intend to get the survey from a SAMS'r local to the boat to avoid driving time charges and to maximize his/her chances of being familiar with a good local yard for haul-out. Will keep Bill Brown in mind.

You're in Mad Beach? I'm just down the road. We'll have to swap lies over a libation or 3.... :)

Joe

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2016
Catalina 30 Hingham
Hi
Joe I have an 89 Catalina 30 with a wing keel it's a great boat and I would buy it again in a heartbeat. Yes I would love the walk through transom but not having it doesn't effect my sailing sailing experience. Whichever one that was in better shape . Any question feel free to ask .

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
OK. Now I know this is about Catalinas. Never mind.

Early C&Cs had TERRIBLE space utilization. I had a 34 and it seem no bigger than the 29. The C&C 30 mk1 is a great sailing boat but little room downstairs

The mk2 is more modern looking, and has better use of space. Like an aft cabin, which the mk1 totally lacks.

Last edited:

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
@Jackdaw - there is a guy considering taking a free 1979 C&C, you posted in that thread too

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
The Catalina 30 is a great boat, they wouldn't have produced 6000+ hulls if it weren't. I went through the same decisions when we bought ours 8 years ago. I went with the MkIII because I have a special needs son and thought the walk through transom would make swimming easier. I also loved the idea of a transom shower. I think Catalina listens to their customers and incorporates improvements in each new production run. This was our first boat and I wasn't sure how my wife was going to like it. It was the best decision I could have made. We anchor out a lot and dinghy ashore. The walk through transom makes entering the boat from the dinghy so much easier. I also have a 2 hp. Outboard I keep on the push pit that I can easily carry on and off the dinghy. It also made it easier on my wife who has come to enjoy our adventures. Either way I don't think you can go wrong.
Good luck

Jul 27, 2010
Catalina 30 MKII Morgan City, LA
I have an '88 tall rig with the winged keel and love it, however I would definitely prefer the walk through if I had the option for the reasons stated above.
By the way, the air draft is 48' on the tall rig. I just squeezed under the (2) 50' bridges on the intracoastal between Pensacola and Ft. Walton. I got under them at 49' on the guages with significant pucker factor involved. Had to wait on the tide for the second bridge

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
by far, the most hardest part of getting someone overboard back on the boat is obviated with a walk through stern.

Sep 25, 2015
Catalina 30 Middle River
20161012_175032.jpg
Are both boats tall rigs? My boat is a TR and I have sailed right past Catalina 30s that are not Tall Rigs and my sails are old. The other question I would ask if either has AC. Mine had it and I looked at a few boats that did not. I really didn't care about AC but I cant imagine not having it now because when others say it is too hot to go sailing, I am not that person. It is not the heat when your out sailing its when you are at the dock after coming in and before going out that the boat is a sweat box. My swim platform works at a dingy davit too if your going to go for overnights its really nice to have a dingy with you.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
there i something else about open sterns. for those of us who have a curse called winter, the ladder and walk through make access while the boat is on jackstands, or whatever, so much easier.