Water in motor

gfroch

Jun 5, 2004
Catalina 30 Rochester, NY
My Universal M25XP seems to have gotten water into the third cylinder, which was discovered when it suddenly wouldn’t start last week. We are thinking it probably got in when we were racing and were heeled hard over (rail in the water) to port. It appears it could get in through either the cold water intake or exhaust, because when heeled hard over to port, both loops would be below the water line.

Has anyone else experienced this? Would love to hear other experiences, solutions, comments.

Thanks…
-gf-

Jan 6, 2010
GF,

Many times, this is a head gasket that's failed. Occasionally, it may be a block gasket or, an exhaust head gasket.
Internally, you have recirc water & separately, oil passages built into the head & block.
Sounds to me like the head gasket failed. This is alot easier to fix.

Luckily, you caught it in time. I would have a knowledgeable mechanical check it out pal.

CR

AXEL

Mar 12, 2008
Catalina C30 MKIII WEST ISLIP, NY
I use to get flooded cylinders all the time before I figured out the sea water anti-syphon break was crusted with salt and wasn't working.

gfroch

Jun 5, 2004
CaptnRon- When it comes to motors, I'm an idiot. I have a good (great!) mechanic who got me this far and will pass on your words of wisdom to him. Thanks!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
before I figured out the sea water anti-syphon break was crusted with salt and wasn't working.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^That! Good point.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
engines which have been sunk in hurricanes have been restored by competent mechanics; there is no time to lose in getting yours to one.

gfroch

Jun 5, 2004
Stu and Axel- where is the anti-siphon break? I'm in freshwater, but we do get into weeds and mud.

Thanks! I'm trying to learn. Luckily my mechanic friend is also a good teacher.

Jan 6, 2010
GF,

Here's another thing to keep in mind when starting your iron jib.

Yea, first prime your fuel line. When cranking, never let it go past 8 seconds. If laying on the crank,
yes you can also siphon water into your cylinders.
This is a good rule of thumb to always keep in mind.

CR

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
First. get the water out. Do this ASAP by hand cranking the engine to clear the cylinder and then change the oil. Run the engine and change the oil again. Repeat until the oil is no longer milky and bubbly. Then figure out how the water got in.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
First. get the water out. Do this ASAP by hand cranking the engine to clear the cylinder and then change the oil. Run the engine and change the oil again. Repeat until the oil is no longer milky and bubbly. Then figure out how the water got in.
If he has a failed gasket, this will continue to get more water in the cylinder with every crank. I believe @captnron is absolutely right about the failed gasket because the water is just in one cylinder, rather than in two or more which makes sense if the break in the gasket seal is around that cylinder. Water intrusion by other methods wouldn't be isolated to one cylinder. I'm open to correction on this as most of my engine experience is with gas racing vehicles, daily drivers, and motorcycles... different beast but most of the general engine block principles are the same, however the only water source is coolant and no sea water, LOL!

AXEL

Mar 12, 2008
Catalina C30 MKIII WEST ISLIP, NY
Stu and Axel- where is the anti-siphon break? I'm in freshwater, but we do get into weeds and mud.

Thanks! I'm trying to learn. Luckily my mechanic friend is also a good teacher.
I'm not sure. On my old 1977 C30 it was under the galley sink.
Good question. I just bought a new (used) 2000 C30 this season. I will have to look around for it. It will be above the water line. Usually well above the engine to compensate for heeling. I think it taps off the exhaust elbow but could be wrong.