Force 10 or Magma grill?

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Magma kettle II grill... the smaller one. its large enough to cook for 4 people, or more with a bit of pre-planning.
the large one is unnecessary unless you are feeding lots of people all the time.
the smaller one is also more efficient on fuel due to the smaller area being heated.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
We have one of each - Centerline has summed it up perfectly. We have only ever used the Force 10 once.

By the way, the regulators can be bought from the original manufacturer for about half what they cost from the grill supplier.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
I had the original Magma kettle grill. I'm really glad they updated the design with the hinged lid. That little bastard would get so hot you need a gloved hand to grab the knob, and then where do you put that crazy hot piece of stainless on a fiberglass boat? Glad I got rid of it about two or three years before they came out with the updated design or it would have been worthless.
Magma Grills are expensive, but I believe you get what you pay for... the stainless construction is excellent. I use my welding cleaner/descaler spray to clean them. People loose their minds when they see how clean and shiny I get them with little effort, even restoring the bright stainless color from the heat darkening. I never tell anyone what my secret ingredient is, until now, LOL...

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Neither. For a whole lot less you can get a much better grill at wall mart. The difficulty is configuring a proper mounting.
I have previously posted the problem of magnas overheating. For what they cost you should be able to adjust the heat down. Do not expect Weber Grill performance from them.
Others have also found that the burner control is not adequate. If I can find my camera I have a great picture my magma engrossed in flames cooking two burgers on the lowest setting.
Even a cheapo grill replaced every few years would be a good choice.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
I've had a Magma Newport for 8 seasons and use it for 99% of meals. almost every weekend and couple week long trips ( steak, burgers, chicken, fish ) I just replaced the burner and heat shield, everything else is fine and expect I'll get another 8 from it. I really like having the rail mount that is secure but I can also remove and quickly stow when I want.

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
I have a magma that has never been used if anyone is interested.

Jan 6, 2010
Free,

I don't think the food you are cooking will know the difference pal.

I myself, have a Magma off my stern rail. The only difference is that I use lava rocks & not charcoal.
I keep thick foil on the grill to catch any drippings. My rocks then stay clean.

Here's a KOOL idea for cooking off your stern:

My friends & I raft up on the weekends & sometimes 4-5 boats abreast. We would have these incredible meals. Barbara came up with the KILLER idea that she called, "Magma Meals."

She would buy the large oversize aluminum foil:
** She would start out with potatoes & prepare them with seasonings & such.
She would then wrap them up in foil so that the pouch would not leak.

** Then came the meat of choice, seasoned & wrapped in the same way.
** Then came 1 or 2 seasoned veggies. Each wrapped in the same way.

She would take the large foil, place the potatoes on the bottom, the meat above it & then the veggies. She would then wrap these all up in one big closed-up foil ball that would fit in the Magma grill.

When it came time for the boats to cook, she would say, "Gentlemen, start your Magmas."
20 to 30 minutes later, each boat had fully cooked meals.
The bonus was that, the flavors permeated thru & inside this foil wrap.

You wanna talk about tasty killer food without any fuss or mess..........this is it.
I just thought I'd pass this along.

CR

Sep 25, 2015
Catalina 30 Middle River
I have one of these and would not trade it for anything else. Best part you can take it on any boat or any shore or tailgate partys. I have cooked hundreds of meals on it and use it on the boat all the time.

http://www.cobbgrillamerica.com/

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Neither. For a whole lot less you can get a much better grill at wall mart. The difficulty is configuring a proper mounting.
I have previously posted the problem of magnas overheating. For what they cost you should be able to adjust the heat down. Do not expect Weber Grill performance from them.
Others have also found that the burner control is not adequate. If I can find my camera I have a great picture my magma engrossed in flames cooking two burgers on the lowest setting.
Even a cheapo grill replaced every few years would be a good choice.
you CAN adjust the heat down on a magma grill.... they supply a regulator with the grill but it may not be suited for your area or cooking style.
but the good news is, due to them NOT knowing where in the world the grill is going to be operated, in the arctic or in the tropics, or, if you like to cook on high or if you are a low heat cook, they make three differently adjusted regulators, so you have 2 other options to choose from if you dont like the heat output of what came with the grill.

but also keep in mind that no matter if you bought a 1000 dollar boat grill or a 19.95 budget grill, any regulator CAN be faulty....

so its not fair to blame an excellent quality grill for something the regulator may be causing...

one thing about the newer magma kettle II grills is that even in 25mph wind, the grill will stay lit and not blow out like the other types I have used. ....a boat grill that wont stay lit in a bit of wind, is worse than one that flares up....

a good freind of mine has one of the stainless walmart grills that he has been using for about 5 years, but we did have to modify it to keep it lit in a breeze, and its not even close to being as rugged as the magma.... but the food cooked on them tastes just as good..... and its no secret that he would like to replace it with a kettle II.

Last edited:

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I use my welding cleaner/descaler spray to clean them. People loose their minds when they see how clean and shiny I get them with little effort, even restoring the bright stainless color from the heat darkening. I never tell anyone what my secret ingredient is, until now, LOL...
I picked up a used Force 10 Stow and Go at the flea market a couple of weeks ago, and am cleaning it up before I put it on the boat. Do you have a brand name or link for the cleaner/descaler you use? This grill has seen some use, an has dark areas on the lid and sides I would love to clean up. I was going to try Barkeepers Friend, but figured i would search here for solutions first.

I got it for $30 with a broken regulator. New regulator should be here tomorrow night $16.99 Amazon

Force 10 Stow and Go.jpg

I am planning to rail mount it so I am also looking for a cover for it. Anyone know where to get a good cheap one that would fit in blue Sunbrella? The pre-made ones I can find online, are all black unless I pay a fortune for the one for the Magma.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I've had a Magma for what must be going on 20 years now. Every bit of interior hardware has been replaced if not twice. I ditched the briquets and bought a stainless heat distributor. With regard to heat regulation it just isn't much good. Those regulators have high and higher. If I want to slow cook something I wait until the propane bottle is 2/3 empty and then I have a chance. Steaks I do with a new bottle.
I can vouch for CaptRon's foil technique as we've used it many times. Some small potatoes, a mess of green or wax beans and some kielbasa makes a fine collage.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
I picked up a used Force 10 Stow and Go at the flea market a couple of weeks ago, and am cleaning it up before I put it on the boat. Do you have a brand name or link for the cleaner/descaler you use? This grill has seen some use, an has dark areas on the lid and sides I would love to clean up. I was going to try Barkeepers Friend, but figured i would search here for solutions first.

I got it for $30 with a broken regulator. New regulator should be here tomorrow night $16.99 Amazon

View attachment 146342

I am planning to rail mount it so I am also looking for a cover for it. Anyone know where to get a good cheap one that would fit in blue Sunbrella? The pre-made ones I can find online, are all black unless I pay a fortune for the one for the Magma.
It's just a store brand called 'Degreaser & Descaler' from Industrial Metal Supply. Unfortunately it's a west coast only place and I'm not sure if they ship it. It's only $12 a gallon but the shipping would suck. The active ingredient phosphoric acid, so you should be able to find a similar product at any welding supply place. Google your local AirGas welding supply store. tell them you are looking for a stainless steel cleaner that has Phosphoric Acid, they should have a similar product that is no more than $15 a gallon. You can cut it with hot water, no need to use it full strength. Hot water actually makes it work faster.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Had a Force 10 small round (Tubular) one for a lot of years and last year got a Magma. Liked it so much we got another one for home. No sense having the 26 burner job at the house for two of us.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
It's just a store brand called 'Degreaser & Descaler' from Industrial Metal Supply. Unfortunately it's a west coast only place and I'm not sure if they ship it. It's only $12 a gallon but the shipping would suck. The active ingredient phosphoric acid, so you should be able to find a similar product at any welding supply place. Google your local AirGas welding supply store. tell them you are looking for a stainless steel cleaner that has Phosphoric Acid, they should have a similar product that is no more than $15 a gallon. You can cut it with hot water, no need to use it full strength. Hot water actually makes it work faster.
Would Ospho work? I know it turns black on carbon steel. Barkeepers Friend is oxalic acid based, but has an abrasive mixed in.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
I forgot to take before pictures, but I got the replacement regulator mounted, and cleaned the stainless with Barkeepers Friend. It still has some scratches, but I didn't want to break out the buffer.
2018-02-25 17.28.34.jpg
Got it mounted on the push-pit last evening.
2018-02-28 14.38.57.jpg 2018-02-28 14.44.48.jpg

I hope to use it for the first time this Saturday.

Last edited: