Sealant w/o adhesive

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I'm seeking an exterior sealant w/o ANY adhesive properties that can be used with uncoated mast grade aluminum. It must be tube dispensable and most importantly, be common enough to be purchased otc in the West Indies.
Thanks

Jun 10, 2012
Hunter 23.5 Indian Lake
I suppose it depends on what you are trying to seal, and why no adhesive properties?

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Butyl? I've certainly seen it used on aluminum hatches that were 30 years old without trouble. Look for something like silly putty that will stretch out to a string without breaking when allowed to drop under it's own weight.

Boatlife Seal is pretty darn weak but does adhere to aluminum.

I'd use butyl. Since it is used in construction it should be world wide. But check the grade. Some are latex-based. filled with fibers, and useless for this purpose.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
silcone...its available worldwide... you can wax the surfaces, or spray them with wd-40 and let dry.... squirt some silcone in the crack and let it dry, then retighen the fasteners.... it wont stick to anything, but does make a tough, resilient gasket seal...

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Not sure if it is world wide, but there is now a non-staining plumbers putty. Used it to fill my chainplate holes while the plates were off the boat for reconditioning. Worked terrific.
Oatey Model 31177 9 oz. Stain-Free Plumber's Putty
:plus:for the Butyl. Comes in a tape form and works wonders.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
[QUOTE="jssailem, post: 1320549, member: 127717"
:plus:for the Butyl. Comes in a tape form and works wonders. [/QUOTE]
Haven't figured out how to squirt the "tape form" into crevices inside the mast...yet.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
I'd use butyl. Since it is used in construction it should be world wide. But check the grade. Some are latex-based. filled with fibers, and useless for this purpose.
What "grade" would you suggest? I certainly won't get usable advice from the folks in the local hardware store.

Mar 26, 2011
What "grade" would you suggest? I certainly won't get usable advice from the folks in the local hardware store.
That is a problem. I've always simply examined it. You can also get it through some chandleries; it is becoming more popular.

I'm not that hardcore on butyl, but it seemed to answer the question. I probably use at least 5 sealants, depending on the need:
  1. Butyl if I'm going to need to remove it an it's big (hatches, winches). Also something where I have no drying time or if it is wet (can even use it underwater).
  2. DOW 795 for hatch lenses. I've also used Sika 295 but prefer DOW. I have used other silicones, and they failed.
  3. Locktite PL S40 for most high strength polyurethane needs. Cheap and just as good as 3M products. S30 if I need black.
  4. 3M 5200 if I need it a little runnier. Although PL bonds better to metals and plastics (other than gelcoat).
  5. Sudbury Elastomeric if I need something weak that still bonds well (does not peal).

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Avoid silicon. It will leave a residue that is difficult to impossible to remove with abrasives and will impair the ability of anything sticking to it.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Mar 26, 2011
Avoid silicon. It will leave a residue that is difficult to impossible to remove with abrasives and will impair the ability of anything sticking to it.
Actually, not true. I just did some testing for Practical Sailor that revealed that some removers do a good enough job that following up with a PU like 3M 4200 is 100% strength. I was surprised myself. I also confirmed that abrasives and solvents do not work.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Actually, not true. I just did some testing for Practical Sailor that revealed that some removers do a good enough job that following up with a PU like 3M 4200 is 100% strength. I was surprised myself. I also confirmed that abrasives and solvents do not work.
Can we get a spoiler? or do I have to wait for the next issue of PS? :)

Mar 20, 2012
absolutely.... Ive been saying this for years.
its not the product thats the problem, but its the people who dont/wont educate themselves on how, when, where to use it, what formulation to use, OR how to clean it up after they botch it, but willingly dole out negative rumors about the product because they failed in their attempt.... and commonly, they just pass the negative rumors along because they are afraid to learn how to use the product....
its NOT for every application, but it works great in many applications.

I have been using the stuff for 40 years, and successfully for about 35 of them...yes, I had some failed attempts too, but I learned from them...

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Ordinary tub and tile sealant from home depot or lowes, no silicone, and sticks to nearly everything on a boat except fortunately you (well for a while but will rub off).

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
Imho..Silicone sealant, "marine" or not is just horrible for a boat, But it may be for you in your application. Mainesail has a link for good butyl.

Mar 26, 2011
Capta, you started this. You gave them a lead in to mention silicone, and now we have an "anchor" thread.

Emotions run high.;)

Mar 20, 2012
Vinegar, a stiff scrub brush and some elbo grease removes silicone.
I have not tried the vinegar, but I routinely use ether/starting fluid remove normal tub and tile grade, and "mechanics" grade silicone and all traces of it...

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
capta: I recommend Sudbury 321 Elastomeric Marine Sealant. It is available in a variety of colors and will stick to mast aluminum and stainless steel cotter pins. My rigger put me on to it. He and now I use it to coat cotter pins to protect against snagging. The great thing about it is when you need to remove it all you do is grab a piece of it and pull. It comes off cleanly without leaving lots of little pieces to pick off. Skins over quickly and cures in one day at 70 degrees.