V-Berth Bedding

EJWash

Nov 25, 2015
Catalina 30 Hoodsport
Hello All,

I have an '89 Catalina 30. I spend a few nights a month onboard. I went back and forth, sleeping in the V-berth, and the aft berth before becoming more comfortable in the V-berth. I find the V-berth a lot easier to get in and out of, so I spend my nights there. My bedding is two rectangular sleeping bags, zipped together. Very roomy, but very bulky in the foot area, the bottom of the 'V'.

Though I've made many (online) searches, I cannot find anything pre-made in the dimensions of my V-berth. What I am looking for is a resource for custom bedding or sleeping bags.

FYI, my V-berth dimensions are 78" at the top, 13" at the bottom, and 72" long (top to bottom).

Thanks!

EJ

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
On a temporary basis, you can solve the "bunching up" problem by sleeping across the 78" dimension, and you'd have more room for your body length as well.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
They may be 40' when stretched but they may have elastic that will hold narrower widths like fitted sheets at home. But at $200 a set or more, I'll make my own.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I'm not one to argue with the admiral. They don't seem to bunch bad. They are wider I don't know the dimensions of my mk1 cat 36 but guessing not a bunch different

Feb 26, 2008
Catalina 30 Marathon, FL
If it's just a little chilly we use lightweight fleece blankets. They roll up and store in small spaces.

Late October into November I just take a comforter down to the boat. Who cares if it's a perfect fit? You don't see it when you're asleep.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
We just use regular household flat sheets and tuck them in. Not a C30 but works in our Hunter. As for sleeping bags, NOOOOO. I prefer sheets and blankets which allow us to peel off layers as conditions permit. We also run the heat when needed. We just came back today from 24 days onboard. and it works well here in Puget Sound region. Our daughter uses a rectangular sleeping bag unzipped for an upper blanket. which would also reduce the bulk.

Ken

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country

On both boats we broke the foam into 3 piecies and made covers for them...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-canvas/canvas-15.html

... that really helps to get to the storage under the v-berths. Putting the cuts where they are you don't feel them sleeping.

We cutup fitted bottom sheets...

... and resewed them.

We also modified the top sheets...

.. so they fit better and also so they don't come loose. With the 3 cushions we can take the first two out and ...

...hook the sheets onto the forward one and then push it forward and insert the other two. This means no climbing into the berth on your hands and knees and having to put the sheets around the end of the forward cushion.

We also cut up top blankets to use so no more wadded up blankets/sheets at your feet. You can find it all at the menu here....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/canvas-index.html

You don't need an industrial machine to do this,

Sumner
=====================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Similar to Sumner's post above, my wife custom made our v-birth bed. We didn't modify the existing cushions, though. We started with a Froli sleep system spring setup under the existing cushions. She then cut a 3" medium density latex foam pad to fit. On top of that, cut a topper to fit (it's not one of the foam ones). She then made a cover for the mattress materials and original cushions. This was made from a top sheet that has velcro added to enclose it around the bedding. Bottom sheet, like Sumner's, is a modified fitted sheet. Top sheet and quilt are also modified by cutting to fit and sewing the edges to create a pocket at the pointy end of the v-birth. This way, the sheet and quilt do not pull out. Making the bed, is simply the last person out, pulling up and shaking the sheet and quilt on their way out of the bed. Works great, and is almost as comfortable as our bed at home.

Attachments

Sep 29, 2008
Morgan Out Island 33 Pompano Beach
The article below was published in Sailing Mag several years ago. My wife seem to think that after a couple of years our bed sheets needed replacing. Some were abit faded, but still soft and comfy. It explains how I convert standard bed sheets to fit a v-berth. Easy, simple and very effective. Been doing it this way for 20 years. Bob

Attachments