Wasp problem

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
My mast has a styrofoam insert in the base that keeps the bugs out even when erected .

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I like Viper. I've used it on the outside of my house for years. One application per year or every other year. Rain does not wash it away. Works well on my boat, too - once a year.

I typically hate using chemicals, but I haven't detected any adverse effects from Viper. I tried all the home remedies/non-chemical interventions first. They only worked in enclosed spaces. Bugs hate the smell of cedar. They also seem to hate the smell of drier sheets, but so do I. It's easier for me to spritz a bit of Viper around the ingress/egress that the bugs use. My annual application is at the end of the fall sailing season.

Viper is pretty incredible! It was recommended to me by a guy I know who owns a rural farm store (which is where you go for insecticides the big-box stores are afraid to sell!). It's a concentrate that you mix, about one ounce per gallon of water.

VERY powerful stuff.

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
I buy Viper at a seed-'n'-feed store, but it is easily purchased through several web-based retailers. I use a trigger spray bottle for my boat and a hose-end sprayer for my house.

May 19, 2014
Catalina 22 #13555 Lake Winnebago, Oshkosh, WI
Sacto Dave said:
Noticed wasps flying around the base of the mast last weekend.
Nasty. According to the admiral, 1:1 mix water & peppermint oil will kill the larva, wreck the nest and scare away/kill the adults. Might want to use a really good far-shooting spray bottle though and have an escape route.

Or nuke it with nerve agent, er... Raid.

We hung a home made decoy nest (brown paper bag, duct tape) in the cabin. Haven't noticed any new wasps, but one keeps hanging around a little (real) nest I can't reach. It's in the aft ward starboard pop top strut. :(

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
to be rid of wasps., get smallish brown paper bags. put some paper towels cruched up in the bag. tie bag. suspend bag up in the places the wasps put theirs.
\before placing bag, hose down area well with borax--i put that into my hose then turn on water. have fun.

IN the mast-- wow.. you have fun

Aug 31, 2011
Catalina C-22 9485 Lake Rathbun, IA
Someone had told me a while back that drier sheets (dryer sheets) work well. I have them stuffed down the anchor rode and in the sides ofvthe sliding hatch and fuel vent. Works well as far as I can tell. Cheap too. No wasps this year. The lavender ones smell nice too :)

May 19, 2014
Catalina 22 #13555 Lake Winnebago, Oshkosh, WI
Yah, the PO taped a dryer sheet over the crib vents. Always thought that was a good idea. Air flow sucked, but no bugs inside... until this year.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
I m telling you guys, moth balls in a jar with holes or a few stuffed in old sock tossed in corner down below 2 or 3 places works!