Thoughts on Perko ventilators? Useful or no?

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
after removing all the rest of the deck hardware including the (I'm assuming original ) Perko Ventilators and epoxying all the holes and opening I started wondering what the group at large has done with theirs and does anyone find that they are actually
doing their job successfully?

Or not so much?
IMG_1561.JPG

?

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Coast guard required passive ventilation for fuel compartment on boats built after April 25, 1940 and duct for exhaust must start at lower 1/3 of compartment per 33CFR 175/183, 46 CFR 25. No motor, no tanks below, no vents needed.

Sep 14, 2014
Passive or solar operated vent is suggested for foredeck or foredeck hatch to help reduce heat and humidity in the v berth and cabin area by bringing in fresh air. Your crib boards usually have a passive exhaust vent built in.

May 19, 2014
Catalina 22 #13555 Lake Winnebago, Oshkosh, WI
My '86 New Design didn't have the passive vents due to the changes to the fuel tank location and closed settees.

However, (if I may piggyback on this thread) I pickup up a 4" solar vent to help move cabin air as those crib vents aren't quite enough. Haven't installed it yet though. Has anyone installed a solar vent on their '86/newer? Can it go on the sloped front hatch?

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Thanks Jacktar-- I guess my question was really around was anyone using the perko setup successfully, and clearly you are doing what I intend which is to keep using the port Lazarette to hold the outboard tank. Of course what I inherited was just the ventilators and no duct, but easily rectified.

I wish I had a hatch! but the '73 is solid deck-- I do have a flexible cowl vent that will have to be evaluated, but that's a bit down the list.

Sep 14, 2014
If you are going to make a vent hole in the deck (oh horrors) the nicro vents are the best , water resistant mushroom ventilators with a green water sleeve inside to close off when in the heavy weather or waves. The solar model day.night plus runs in daylight and charges a battery to run at night. Comes with exhaust or intake fan blades.

Jun 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Lake Thunderbird
I bought the same solar vent as Jacktar to install in the foredeck. As mine has no hatch. I'm also installing a perko vent in the port lazarette. Mine didn't come with any ventilation. Mine didn't have any crib vents as well. Should I get two of the perko vents for the lazarette or will one be sufficient since I'll have the solar vent over the v berth?

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Typical view of duct below and vent on hatchView attachment 126178 View attachment 126179
the ventilation of the space shown below in your picture would be more efficient and complete if one of the hoses went to the other side of the space... as shown, when the vents work as they should in the wind, the air movement is going to take the path of least resistance, which is in one of the tubes, and directly out the other.... with very little effect or displacement of the dank air that may be in the far side of the boat.....

when the tube ends are at opposite sides of the space, a cross draft will be created and more thoroughly ventilate the entire space.... and the larger the cowls, the stronger the ventilation will be.... but its still better than nothing at all:biggrin:

Sep 14, 2014
Moot point as the location of the vents is set by the factory and are ahead intake and behind exhaust the platform for the portable tank. Its a system to vent the fuel vapors not ventilate the compartment that runs forward and connects to the cabin as well.