I need some d@#n wind.

May 13, 2016
Catalina 22 MK II 15377 Granbury Texas
I took the week off to sail and the North Texas wind is DEAD. I've tried everyday and the forecast isn't changing.
Do you know how hard it is to lake fish with no trolling motor? Look at all the wind on this lake! Glassy!
Too bad really, I was so looking forward to it.
image.jpeg

May 19, 2014
Catalina 22 #13555 Lake Winnebago, Oshkosh, WI
Ugh, that sucks. Wish I could bottle some of the wind up here for you. It's been around 18-25 knots, a bit more than my family is willing to take. No sailing here either.

Still... a bad day on the boat is better than a good day at work.

Fingers crossed for you for breeze soon.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
At least your boat is in the water. I turned down spending the weekend at a friend's cottage, to work on boat repairs.

How does fishing usually work out ? I've never tried trolling from a sailboat.

Nov 17, 2013
Catalina 22 Scottsdale, AZ
I wish I could work on my boat this weekend - but it's been too doggone hot since Memorial Day. I need to get started on the wiring/electrical panel. It is located in the worst possible place and has been, literally, kicked to pieces.

Aug 12, 2014
Universal Marine Montego 25 San Pedro, CA
Is your outboard's idle too fast for trolling? I suppose you could bust out the oars! :hook2:

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
IMG_2869.JPG
As an avid lake fisherman, I'm trying to incorporate fishing and sailing. First attempt didn't go well. Gusts of wind kept increasing the speed so the reel was slipping line. Just keep trying.....

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
I was in the same shoes as you the last 2 weekends, no wind :(
but they call for some wind for this weekend, so I'm taking her out this weekend

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
In California foothill lakes we have Trout, King Salmon and Kokanee. ( Also Bass, Panfish and Catfish). I have found to most productive way to catch them is by trolling 1.5-2 mph.
Here's a Kokanee caught on a red sling blade and pink hoochie rig. It differs between species.
post.jpg

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
@T_Cat how deep is your lake and is the depth consistent ?

The best lake here is all over the place in depth and usually too deep for trolling.
I guess that a sailboat has the ultimate stand on vessel status if you are fishing from it.... Hehe

Only kokanee I've had, was the beer. :)

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
The local lakes (reservoirs) run to 500+ feet. Because of being dam formed reservoirs their is a huge variation in depth. The fish don't hold at the same depth throughout the year. My fishing boat had downriggers on it to get the lure to the proper depth. With my sailboat I've been using lead core fishing line.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Pedro_Reservoir

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I have NO luck at fishing. I've trolled all over this side of Florida and only caught one fish, ever. A little mackerel of some kind. And even he didn't get eaten, we had too much food on board as it was. LOL Back in the water he went.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Lots of fish up here. We ate 15lbs of walleye fillets last weekend, during our annual family camping/fishing trip.

I've never been an avid fishermen, but I sometimes head out with the fish fanatic friends. Most of the time trolling, it's a sand bar or rock shelf edge.

The lakes east of here range in depth from 100 to 370 ft deep, with many having rock ridges will full depth water on either side.

The pike, walleye/pickerel, and muskies, we try catch, all like hanging out at the edge of weeds, and shelves, so they can ambush prey.

Not sure how that would work with a sailboat, since the local practice is to troll back and forth along the area.
It would be "interesting" sailing among all the aluminum fishing boats.

@Texas Gun-Man what do you fish for ? also deep/steep sided lakes ?

@Gene Neill hmm. I hope it's just bad luck. I've read more than a few comments about how you could easily catch fish on an long passage, or see dolphins almost daily on a offshore passage, whereas now the same passage, shows little of that.

@T_Cat So no down rigger...just the lead line to get it deeper ? I'll have to read up on that...

Due lack of experience, I'm simply guessing how much line I need out at a given speed to get the lure to the needed depth. If I'm too shallow I have no idea, but at least if I'm too deep I can tell right away, and help clean the weeds a bit :p

Trolling under sail seems like a challenge, but since I haven't tried it yet, I may be over thinking it.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Nice Spanish Makerel Gene! I used to catch these when I was a kid growing up on the gulf coast. We'd filet them out, coat them with yellow mustard and paprika and then give them some time in a smoker. Deee-licious!!

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
We also like to fish for a wile early in the AM or times when the wind doesn't cooperate. our lakes are generally between 200-250 feet deep, but always find areas closer to shore that look promising for fishing in the 20-50 foot range. I use a small spinner like a Panther Martin just so we don't have to deal with bait etc. On our last camping trip we caught 6-8 rainbow trout in the 10-14" range in one morning jaunt along the bank. If you want/need to fish mid day, try to find areas near the bank that have some shade for a better catch. We're using a 6HP Johnson kicker on our 25 and it works great.

May 19, 2014
Catalina 22 #13555 Lake Winnebago, Oshkosh, WI
I think I have the same OB. 2000 Johnson 6 hp. Sounds nearly the same. How do you not scare fish with it??

I need to learn how to fish. My dream: weekending Lake Winnebago WI, overnighting onboard, catching lunch/dinner. 215 sq mi of water w/ mean depth 15'. It's basically a flooded marsh. There are many other almost as big local lakes but the buggers are also flooded marshes that you could walk across. Useless for sailing. Fishing is great though.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I guess our fish are used to all the power boats in the area ;) . it's a good practice to run out 50-75 feet of line when trolling, however, so your lure is behind the noise a ways. Of course the other option is fly fishing, which is really my preferred method. I do that a lot when anchored near the shore in the evenings. I just sit on the stern railing and cast from there, which gives you about 180* of water to work over.
With only 15' of water I'm guessing there is good bass fishing available in your area??

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
We have caught Tuna several times. trolling between 100' and 200' depth

2015-01-18 13.46.51.jpg