Rudder pin

hook

Apr 1, 2016
macgregor 25 monroe mi.
I've never sailed in my life, and this is probably a real stupid question, but I just bought an 86 Mac 25 and am trying to get it ready to sail. There's no pin to keep the rudder down. Will a nut and bolt do, or will the threads damage the rudder.

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
Assuming you have a kick-up rudder and are wanting to keep it from swinging up while in the water a bolt will work fine. However, if your rudder should hit something or if you forget to remove it before taking the boat out of the water you stand a chance of damaging the rudder. I like to use a nylon bolt so that the bolt will break before any damage happens to the rudder. Others will use a small line (rope) to hold it down.

If you're talking about the entire rudder floating up off the pintles a simple R-clip from home depot will take care of it.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Hook, welcome aboard and welcome to the sailing world. There are no stupid questions, here. We all started at square one, initially, and we are all here to help one another. Don't be afraid to ask. :)

hook

Apr 1, 2016
macgregor 25 monroe mi.
I like the nylon bolt idea. Thanks for the info, Bud, and the welcome, Roland.

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
My Venture 25 uses a rope. Passes though the lower rudder for and aft and is knotted. It ties to a cleat on the top portion below the tiller. I use my boat hook to help push it down and pull it up. Works good but not forgiving. There is a hole on the top pintle that a cotter pin can pass through to keep you from losing your rudder. I have had the bottom pop out on a grounding but the top always kept th rudder safe. I bought a rudder saver at WM but have not put it on yet. Dam sailing got in the way again!!
Best of luck with your new boat and...
Happy Sailing!
Ken B.
CMRE - NETS

Mar 26, 2014
Macgregor 25 Kaw Lake Oklahoma
I have a Mac 25 and for several years I have used nylon toilet lid bolts, purchased at any hardware store. Cheap and they work great plus 2 in a package. They make great shear pins.

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
I have a Mac 25 and for several years I have used nylon toilet lid bolts, purchased at any hardware store. Cheap and they work great plus 2 in a package. They make great shear pins.
Seems like a good source for nylon bolts.

hook

Apr 1, 2016
macgregor 25 monroe mi.
Thanks to everyone. But, I believe we have a winner.