Mac25 stay adjusters

Mar 26, 2014
Macgregor 25 Kaw Lake Oklahoma
I was wondering how many Mac 25 owners have replaced their vernier style stay adjusters with turnbuckles? I have always had trouble getting my rigging adjusted quite right and although I don't race I think it might be worth the effort to install turnbuckles for better rig tuning. I sail on a small to medium sized inland lake in Oklahoma.
I made a tool to adjust the vernier adjusters but still not satisfied with the results. Am I being to critical? What have others done?

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Put a Johnson lever on the fore-stay which makes adjusting the vernier style adjusters a snap. flip up the lever; adjust the shroud adjusters; flip lever down and ck tension. repeat as needed. makes setup a whole lot easier as well.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
The macgregor riggimg plan is simple and doesnt need much adjusting... the original shroud adjusters are simple to adjust...
Working with the upper shrouds, get the mast adjusted correctly side to side... then let out (or take in) evenly on each side til you get the correct rake... than take up the slack on the lowers.... thats all there is to it...
Then use the turnbuckle on forestay to add more or less tension as needed....
Once you get the shrouds set correctly, its very likely you will never have another need for adjustments at the shrouds.
So turnbuckles on the mac shrouds are an expensive and very unnecessary expense...

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
What have others done?
I made a tool from some hard maple. The overall tool is one inch square by a couple of feet long, the slotted section is about 4 inches, and the two through-bolts are about 1.5 inches apart. The bolts must fit through the male sections of the adjoining vernier adjusters. Good leverage.

tool.png

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
Turn buckles can work loose under vibration. The vernier adjusters stay put once they're set. As stated before once adjusted you should never have to adjust them again. It's worth the time investment.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Over the years this subject has come up.
The problem with turnbuckles is their inability to fold when lowering and stowing the rig.

Mar 26, 2014
Macgregor 25 Kaw Lake Oklahoma
Thanks everybody for their input. I'll rethink my plan for turnbuckles and spend a little more time trying to get the adjusters set like I want them. I leave the boat in a slip for 8 months at a time so I'm not trailering it. I really thought more people had switched to turnbuckles, of course that's why I asked, to find out what others use.
I'm about ready to head to the water for another season.

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
I use the stock adjusters too. I level the boat seat to sea in the cockpit then by the bootstripe. I then use my topping lift to measure and get the 90 degree mast angle to the beam set. I then set a small amount of rake. 4". I set that with the topping lift as well. Put a weight on the end.
I set the shrouds tight but not too tight. Always looking up the mast after every adjustment. Too tight just makes the boat skinnier.
I replaced my shrouds a couple years ago and did the procedure a couple times. There are good posts on how to do it.

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
BTW, I like having turnbuckle boots over my adjusters. They not only dress them up but they keep the lines and other things from getting caught on the adjusters and protect the cotter rings from getting snagged and damaged. The 1-1/8 boot fits nicely. I actually made my own from PVC pipe and capped them with the Davis boot caps. Not only are they a lot cheaper but they're a lot sturdier than the Davis boots.

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
I used turnbuckles when I re-rigged my V25. I was in a slip, so I was only putting the mast up once a season. I like the simple adjustability of the turnbuckles. I also use a Loos gauge to set my shroud tensions, so having turnbuckles makes rig tuning easy. And I can do it while in the water.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
BTW, I like having turnbuckle boots over my adjusters. They not only dress them up but they keep the lines and other things from getting caught on the adjusters and protect the cotter rings from getting snagged and damaged. The 1-1/8 boot fits nicely. I actually made my own from PVC pipe and capped them with the Davis boot caps. Not only are they a lot cheaper but they're a lot sturdier than the Davis boots.
I did the same thing... i used longer pieces of pvc pipe, painted white (less staining and better uv protection) that are higher than the life lines, (and it looks great) but the jib sheets kept hanging on them, so I had to turn some pointy caps on the lathe so they would shed the sheets when we tacked...