Where is Marlow Hunter?

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
Just got back from the Miami Boat Show. Hunter only had two 50 sailboats there. How does Marlow expect to sell boats if they don't bring product to the shows? I am not in the market but pretty disappointing to see such a poor showing. I do prefer Hunter's swinging wheel verses the two wheels. The Jenneau's still have one MFD down low between the two wheels. Obviously they have never cruised on the ICW where you need the MFD right in front of you.

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
Too bad.. I was hoping they would have a better showing this year... Will be there tomorrow.... -Jon

51RD55

Jul 13, 2015
Hunter 31 Toronto
Not at the Toronto Board Show either this year. Benneteau rep told us that they went out of business.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Not at the Toronto Board Show either this year. Benneteau rep told us that they went out of business.
They were front and centre at both the Vancouver International Boat Show and Seattle Boat Show this year.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
Also no West Marine of Defender there. Could not believe that. The GPS store was kicking everyone's rear on electronics. If you wanted any Raymarine products the Raymarine guys would walk you to the GPS store.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
That's why the more things stay the same the more they change...or something like that. I remember when the largest Catalina was only 30 feet.

When I say: "When I was your age..." My daughter chimes in saying: "...during the days when dinosaurs roamed."

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
....Hunter only had two 50 sailboats there...
I'm a bit stumped by this. Do you mean Hunter brought 2 X 50' sailboats to the show? If so then what is the complaint? How many should they have brought?
I think the buyers of larger yachts don't need to see them at shows. They will get plenty of attention. The large yachts are kind of a gee whiz for the rest of us and a big expense for the builders. If they don't think it pays, I can't blame them for cutting it out.
So I'll ask the posters, have you ever bought a new sailboat at a boat show?

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
I'm a bit stumped by this. Do you mean Hunter brought 2 X 50' sailboats to the show? If so then what is the complaint? How many should they have brought?
I think the buyers of larger yachts don't need to see them at shows. They will get plenty of attention. The large yachts are kind of a gee whiz for the rest of us and a big expense for the builders. If they don't think it pays, I can't blame them for cutting it out.
So I'll ask the posters, have you ever bought a new sailboat at a boat show?
Yup, 2012 Hunter e33 Victoria (British Columbia) Boat Show. I had read about the boat in the local cruising magazine (Cover story Pacific Yachting Magazine, April 2012). We went to the opening day and it was crappy: cold, windy and rainy. No one around to bother us. I spent near 3 hours crawling through the boat asking questions and kicking the tires. Over the next 3 weeks we did a lot of sole searching and researching. The rest is history and we have never looked back.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Yes after looking at a 33 and than my wife after looking at the 36 she no to the 33 and yes to the 36 and at that time signed contract to order a new 36.
Also was at a show when special show price was purchased right than and arrangements were made to take home when show was over.
Went to many sailboat shows and got to see many different Hunters and Catalina and Bennateaus and many other sailboats.
But last year went to see the new Hunters but none to be seen but Catalina and Bennateaus had many models and I could care less but when going to a sailboat show the idea was to see
the all the new models in person of maybe a boat interested in.
I go to local car dealers to check out different car and sailboat shows to see all the different models I am interested in buying and look and see it in person and that's how it was years ago.
Nick

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
Yes - we bought Escape at the show...
Just got back from the Boston Show and Hunter had a 31 and a 37 there, also no West, Defender never comes to Boston

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
Went to the Chicago Boat Show in January. Marlow Hunter had the 31 and (I think) a 37 there. No West Marine again this year. Not a wise marketing decision IMO.
I looked at the 31 and similar sized new models from Hanse & Dufour. That was a very interesting comparison, but I'm not buying a new boat anytime soon. In many ways, my '82 Cherubini designed H30 suits me better than any of them.
I stopped by the Quantum Sails booth, had a good conversation with Andy, and have since ordered a new main and genoa, so Dalliance will feel like a new boat this spring.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Last year I enjoyed all the equipment vendors and the best
part of the show for me and will visit again in the future.
I am glad I purchased my H-36 in 2007 and not crazy about the changes made in new and even less happy with the high $$$$$
for new.
Nickk

richk

Jan 24, 2007
Marlow-Hunter 37 Deep Creek off the Magothy River off ChesBay
Bought a new MH37 and love it!

Mar 26, 2014
Macgregor 25 Kaw Lake Oklahoma
There was a Marlow Hunter 31 and 37 both at the Tulsa Boat Show last weekend.

JSumme

Jul 21, 2015
Marlow-Hunter e33 Alexandria
I wouldn't buy a boat at a boat show, but I used the shows at Annapolis to compare and contrast competing models. After the 2013 October Boat Show in Annapolis, I bought a new 2014 Hunter e33. Working with the dealership, making final option selections and getting the paperwork lined up took until January 2014 for delivery in April 2014. I easily went to 10 years of boat shows before I decided on a brand and a boat. If you take the time just sitting on a prospective boat, the show offers a great opportunity to compare and contrast and answer the most important question, "what are you going to use the boat for?"