Experience with beta marine?

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 30_74-83 Rochester, New York (Lake Ontario)
Ahoy,

Has anyone here had any experience with Beta Marine diesels or support? As I am looking at "best" solutions for re-powering my 1979 H30 I have looked at Yanmar motors to date and have just started to look at a Beta 16 option which would be equivalent power to a Yanmar 2GM20F. The Beta Marine solution is more expensive although not outrageously so, new, lighter and warranted.

Anyone have experience with them?
Thanks,
Bob

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
A little Google searching goes a long way.

I read a lot of boating forums, daily.

I have heard nothing but GREAT things about Beta.

It's a Kubota block and you don't get screwed by Yanmar parts pricing later on.

What's not to like?

Dec 5, 2011
Hunter 37c Scotland
Hi
I repowered my H37c from a 2QM20 to a Beta 35, got a local mechanic to install it with some help from me (easy bits). We phoned Beta with some questions during installation and they were very helpful. 12 months later I had a rough trip into Peterhead and the swell stirred up my fuel tank gunge and blocked the filters. After changing the fuel filter and because I missed my tide window I decided to follow the service procedures in the manual - all nice and simple the spares pack supplied carried everything I needed. In order to not put to sea without a fresh spares kit I phoned Beta and they expressed a new kit to a local address so I could continue my summer cruise.
I think my new engine is great and after some reliability issues with the yanmar, I now have greater confidence in my boat after witnessing the installation and learning to service it.
Angus

May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
The Beta is a great engine. I installed a similar Kubota based called a Nanni, 29 hp, in my 37C. Plenty of power, especially when partnered with a three blade Flex-o-fold prop. Big bonus of the Nanni is the stock 100 amp alternator.