How to get dog get into main cabin

May 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Lake Lanier
We have a 1984 Catalina 30 with a fairly steep companionway ladder (3' or so) and an older dog in the 35-45# range. She can climb the ladder to exit the cabin, but chooses to jump down into the cabin from the cockpit. The cabin sole is slick, and she has to jump at an angle because the galley peninsula is directly in front of the companionway so she usually does not make a graceful landing.

I'm thinking of some kind of platform with a rug scrap on it that can sit between the middle step of the ladder and the settee edge so she has a middle ground to land on. I tried holding one of the hatch boards in this manner, but it is narrow and smooth and the dog will jump to avoid it as well. I'd like something that does not prevent us from existing or entering so we could leave it up and let her come and go about the boat as she likes.

How do other owners handle this? She does not like to be lifted down (plus we're getting too old for that) but we're afraid she is going to get hurt one day.

Jimm

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 33.5 Bodkin Creek - Bodkin YC
Re: How to let dog get into main cabin

Great timing on this issue.! Just moved my 10 month old lab aboard my Catalina 30. No answers but appreciate the post....she's being carried up and down, but given how fast she's growing, not much longer :)

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith

I would try facing her while you are standing at the base of the ladder and try to coax her to step down 1 at a time. Or try walking down next to her with a tight grip on her harness so she is prevented from jumping. Once they make up their mind on something it is hard to change. Our ladder is 5-6 steps and fairly steep but my 4 year old 80 lb golden walks down but it is tricky for him. Like yours, he has no problem going up. Thing is though he started going down when he was just a couple of months old.
Good luck

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana

a piece of rug sample, a foot square, at the ladder base really helps. saves floor from scratches too (from skidding toenails)

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 34 Toronto, Ontario Canada
Our golden ( 60lbs) is a bit of a struggle to get into the boat- she can't get down the big step to the engine cover without help because of the height and the small space for her on the engine cover. Once there, we help her start down the steps then jump. I am always concerned that a leg doesn't slip off the step behind it as it is open and that would snap a leg. She gets up easier.

Jun 24, 2014
Kayaks for now, oday coming soon 13 Waterford, CT
what's under the cockpit? Are there quarterberths? You could make a hatch for her to hop down to the quarterberth, something she can nose open and slide under.

Mar 19, 2010
Hunter 1997 376 Ventura, CA
Lab

We have a 80LBS Black Lab and she goes down like a train wreck but she makes it. It took her a while to perfect the start putting one paw foward worked for us.
Good Luck:neutral:

Zed

Aug 19, 2015
West Wight Potter 19 Bar Harbor
Our 90 lb 12 year old lab cannot do any of that. Next dog(we are in our 60's) will be a return to our first kind of dog when we were in our low 20's in the early 1970's---a combination miniature poodle with something else like dachshund, heavy on the poodle part.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I have the same problem. Would like to get my 80 lb lab onboard; however, I don't want him to get hurt nor do I want to hurt my back. No way will he go up or down the ladder into the cabin. Also, I don't want him scratching the wood on the ladder. I have given some consideration to buying a block & tackle ,similar to one that is used for boom vangs, and attaching a sling or harness to one end and attaching the tackle to the boom. Then just lower of raise him out of the cabin. Can rig this for about $200; cheap compared to veterinary bill or medical bill! Gotta agree with Rick, probably much easier when they start doing this as a pup.

Sep 8, 2019
Catalina 387 Little River
We have a 1984 Catalina 30 with a fairly steep companionway ladder (3' or so) and an older dog in the 35-45# range. She can climb the ladder to exit the cabin, but chooses to jump down into the cabin from the cockpit. The cabin sole is slick, and she has to jump at an angle because the galley peninsula is directly in front of the companionway so she usually does not make a graceful landing.

I'm thinking of some kind of platform with a rug scrap on it that can sit between the middle step of the ladder and the settee edge so she has a middle ground to land on. I tried holding one of the hatch boards in this manner, but it is narrow and smooth and the dog will jump to avoid it as well. I'd like something that does not prevent us from existing or entering so we could leave it up and let her come and go about the boat as she likes.

How do other owners handle this? She does not like to be lifted down (plus we're getting too old for that) but we're afraid she is going to get hurt one day.
Hi any new updates - We just purchased a Catalina 387 and have a 60 pound golden retriever. Any new ideas on steps or something that our dog can get from the cockpit to the galley?

Sep 8, 2019
Catalina 387 Little River
Hi any new updates - We just purchased a Catalina 387 and have a 60 pound golden retriever. Any new ideas on steps or something that our dog can get from the cockpit to the galley?

Aug 19, 2021
Hunter 280 White House Cove Marina
Way back in my navy days, we had slides built into the ladders so you could slide stores down the ladders when bringing them onboard. The slides were hinged at the top, middle and bottom. They were stowed in the upright position with a simple J hook. I will see if I can find some pictures

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
A 60LB Golden Retriever... I think I would start an upper body weight lifting class at a gym... Learning to climb a ladder or spending the rest of my days in the cockpit might be the simple answer. Certainly if food is a factor climbing the ladder will be encouraged.

You could rig a sling on the boom to move the dog down into the cabin and avoid getting a hernia or bad back lifting the dog in and out.

May 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Lake Lanier

We finally made a platform that rests on the middle step of the companionway ladder and the cushion of the settee that comes around the side of the galley cabinet. Covered it with some indoor/outdoor carpet I liberated from the trash. Worked great for several years until she died. It is stable enough I can stand on it if I don't want to remove it for myself. It stows vertically on its long side next to the quarter berth wall mid-ships.

Platform in place.jpg