Recently bought Catalina 250 not even wet yet. HELP

May 30, 2014
Catalina 250 southeastern CT
Need to find owner nearby willing to let me visit to get some guidance on setting boat up, all the electronics, raising the mast, much more.
Getting very frustrated. :confused: Considering scuttling the boat at sea. Taking far too much time. Owner's manual not enough detail.
Would like to sail it this year before the snow flies.
feel free to call me at cell phone 860-908-0250.

May 30, 2014
Where located?

Where are you located? I'm in Westbrook .
I live in Jewett City, CT, about 10-15 miles inland of Fisher's Island Sound. Like to launch at one of three places: Barn Island State Boat Launch (in Stonington); Niantic State Boat Launch; Old Saybrook State Boat Launch. Used to sail a O'Day 22 out of any of these, an once from launch in Guilford. That boat drew about 2-2.5 ft of water, so no problems.

You have a 22, and mine is a 250? Don't know how similar they are? But hoping there is a lot.

Do you trailer your boat regularly, or keep it tied up at a marina? I have a dream of sailing around Montauk Point, Long Island and set a course for Chesapeake Bay. Retired and refuse to wear a watch.

Thinking, boat is on a trailer with mast partially deployed. Would not take much to secure mast as it was, hitch the trailer, and drive to Westbrook. It is less that an hour's drive, and about 45 miles. Could even bring minimum provisions to sleep aboard if would make things easier.

Thank you for your reply.

May 19, 2014
Catalina 22 wing Westbrook CT
Re: Where located?

I have had a catalina 22 then a 30 and now back to a 22 with a wing keel.
I keep it at a slip at Brewer's Pilots Point marina at a slip.
I had the boat delivered there and they launched it and raised the mast and set up the self furling . It is much better to keep in a slip. I recommend using any Brewer marina to get you set up. Mystic is close to you.
The cat 22, 25 etc are not ocean going blue water boats. They are for coastal sailing .

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
22's and 25's are indeed coast hoppers but a 250 wing is a much larger boat than a 22 is. (26',11" hull length) Chief

May 30, 2014
I have had a catalina 22 then a 30 and now back to a 22 with a wing keel.
I keep it at a slip at Brewer's Pilots Point marina at a slip.
I had the boat delivered there and they launched it and raised the mast and set up the self furling . It is much better to keep in a slip. I recommend using any Brewer marina to get you set up. Mystic is close to you.
The cat 22, 25 etc are not ocean going blue water boats. They are for coastal sailing .
I'll look for a Brewer marina to get me set up. I bet they can give it a coat of bottom paint too. My son may well know of them as he lives on his sailboat docked in Mystic on east side of river. By the way, grew up in Mystic.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Stu suggested I check the Catalina forum and I did. Got great info for setting up my boat plus I joined! If you look at my profile it lists most of the mods I have done over the last 2.5 months. I am a tired ol/ man!
Thanks again Stu. Chief

May 30, 2014
Re: Where located?

Regards the self furling, how is the jib secured in the furler? Some sort of halyard within the furler?