Staysail boom height

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 5, 2011
Hunter 37c Scotland
I have a wire strop holding the boom down when the sail is hoisted. I was wondering if I could make this strop longer and mount a liferaft underneath the boom. Will this affect the sail / boom and am I missing something I should be considering?

any thoughts?

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
I can't see any reason not to lengthen the staysail boom strop if you have room on the luff of the staysail - i.e. that the head of the sail doesn't 'fetch up' at the top of the stay before you have adequate luff tension. You might need to allow for a few extra feet of sheet, depending on how far up you raise the boom (the purchase will be longer).

I can just stow an upside down Avon Redcrest on deck under the staysail boom...now you have me thinking about adding a couple of inches clearance...

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
On my boat you could not raise the boom much.

The staysail stay angles backwards, as the boom goes up it also moves aft. There is not very much clearance between the aft end of the boom and the mast. The amount you could raise the boom without shortening it might not be very much.

Attachments

Dec 5, 2011
Hunter 37c Scotland
Jim, the PO left two two staysails neither of which have luff's long enough to reach the mast with the extension I'm thinking of, (8 to 14 inches)

Dec 5, 2011
Hunter 37c Scotland
John, good point! Looking at your photo, my boom is already shorter than yours but I'll go and remeasure bearing that in mind. The space I'm hoping to utilize is very obvious in your photo, on the deck not the coach roof, under the boom.

Status
Not open for further replies.