Steering Linkage on a 340 broken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nan340

Sep 25, 2012
Hunter 340 Midland
The steering linkage at the pedestal end of the steering rob just broke. There isn't enough clearance under the pedestal to remove the broken linkage.
We loosened the bolts holding the pedestal in place hoping it would move just enough to allow us to get at the part but it will not budge.
Has anyone ever had to replace this part in a 340 before and if so how do you get it off?

dmyles

Jun 2, 2013
Hunter 340 Midland, Ontario
I had to replace the pedestal end bearing on my 340 and had the same issue. After trying to loosen the pedestal and pedestal box without much success due to the factory caulking job I decided that the least risky approach was to carefully mark the base of the lock nut when the steering linkage was directly over the access panel in the aft cabin and then drilling a hole using a 2 1/8 th doorknob drill bit. The resulting hole allowed me to drop the old bearing out and then fit the new bearing and stem up through the hole and onto the mounting pin. Afterwards using some MarineTex epoxy compound and the cutout retrieved from the drill bit I was able to seal up the hole easily.
btw Edson supplies both ends plus some other bits and pieces in a spares kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.