Adler Barbour replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 9, 2013
Hunter 376 St. Petersburg
It appears I need to replace an original 1997 Adler Barbour unit. I have no make or unit size info to go by. Can anyone tell e what size unit I need to get?

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
holding plate or evaporator type?
does it also have to cool the freezer?
How big is the ice box and how good is the insulation?
what is the "average hot" temp you expect to need to use it in?

Apr 9, 2013
Hunter 376 St. Petersburg
Evaporator i am looking at the Adler Barbour CU 200 as I am in the keys says it cools 15 cubic ft. And it's water and air cooled. The current unit is not keeping the evaporator frozen and the water pump is not working. We are on a mooring ball while we were hooked the shore power the evaporator froze over very well now it won't even hold ice so I am guessing we need a new compressor and pump at the very least .

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
You might want to consider digging into the details of what you do have. There is a nameplate right on the unit that shows this information. Try a camera if you can't fit into your lazerette. I have a piture of mine well before I couldn't get in and, more importantly, out. :):):)

Feb 26, 2009
Oday 30 Anchor Yacht Club, Bristol PA
Evaporator i am looking at the Adler Barbour CU 200 as I am in the keys says it cools 15 cubic ft. And it's water and air cooled. The current unit is not keeping the evaporator frozen and the water pump is not working. We are on a mooring ball while we were hooked the shore power the evaporator froze over very well now it won't even hold ice so I am guessing we need a new compressor and pump at the very least .
Hold on to your money! :eek: First get the water pump working and check the heat exchanger for for flow, it may very well be clogged with marine nastys! Mild acid, like vinegar would be good to flush it also. Then.. after your sure it's pumping and flowing, see if you get the cooling effect you once had! Compressors are pretty rugged.

Jun 11, 2004
- - Ft. Lauderdale FL.
DMParmenter,

I can not think of a reason why you would want to replace a working CU200 with another CU200 if cruising in the tropical waters of the Florida Keys, the 15 cu ft box is your problem. A Danfoss BD 50 compressor can not refrigerate that size box in a warm climate unless all you need is a drink cooler. Don’t be confused by creative advertising. The CU200 water cooling in warm seawater is in most cases less energy efficient than fan cooled condenser by itself. The best solution for you is to reduce size of box by placing moisture resistant insulation inside box like Blue Board.

Mar 19, 2010
Hunter 1997 376 Ventura, CA
check it all

It appears I need to replace an original 1997 Adler Barbour unit. I have no make or unit size info to go by. Can anyone tell e what size unit I need to get?
Check the fan and make sure it runs also clean your screen on the water pump inlet and get it running. Then measure your DC battery for output voltage. All this has to work even if you by a new compressor and it night save you money. Good luck
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.