Recent content by VaBch Sailor

1. V

C27 foredeck re-core

Personally, I would not want to "attack from underneath." The only way I would consider that would be to remove the mast, place the boat on a rotating jig and have gravity help out in the glassing process. Otherwise you are glassing from underneath, and that is a messy proposition. Much...
  2. V

C27 foredeck re-core

Doing this entry from the water. After I got the lifelines in today and the stanchions secured with the new fittings, I decided to go out for sail. So good to be back on the water
  3. V

C27 foredeck re-core

Forward stanchions in. Also mounted lower lifelines to the deck. I still need to run the terminator fitting for the upper lifelines into the deck. Might need to shorten or replace the upper lifeline. We will see.
  4. V

C27 foredeck re-core

Far easier to roll-tip than to go through the pain of getting a sprayer and hauling the boat to do it. I've been doing all this work at my slip, not on the hard. Plus I don't think my dock-mates would be too pleased with me spraying next to their boats! (Besides, I didn't want to mask...
  5. V

C27 foredeck re-core

Paint done! Tape off! Gotta go back to work for a few days but will mount stanchions and lifelines when I return. Also need to go back and touch up the paint lines with non-skid. I am pretty pleased with the result!
  6. V

C27 foredeck re-core

Thanks. But, believe it or not, no sanding will be required on the underside of the deck. The purpose of the lateral stiffeners is two-fold: to the provide additional support/prevent deck flex AND give me something on which to screw my overhead paneling. I will be ripping some 2x4's on my...
  7. V

C27 foredeck re-core

Two coats of non skid (interlux interdeck white) and one coat of Brightsides (so far). I'm waiting for the sun to get a little lower on the horizon and cool down. I have my shade rigged over the foredeck but it's still a big hot to put the last coat of Brightsides on. But it's looking good so...
  8. V

C27 foredeck re-core

Thanks! Well, no paint today. But I was able to tape out my lines for the non-skid. Inside the three patch areas will be non-skid. Outside those areas will be 2 fresh cots of Brightsides white.
  9. V

C27 foredeck re-core

And also priming..... I may try for topside paint tomorrow.
  10. V

C27 foredeck re-core

Back for a few days. I will get done what I can. Today was final sanding.....
  11. V

C27 foredeck re-core

Kind of a late start today. (Bit of as sunburn from yesterday was slowing me down.) Washed down the deck this morning and sanded with 120 grit. It's looking pretty good. I decided to go ahead and do one more coat of resin with filler over the top of the deck. I used a combo of 406/410 filler...
  12. V

C27 foredeck re-core

Another day at the boat. Started off by scotch brite and water removal of amine blush. Followed by wet sand for good measure. Also sanded and trimmed the edges of the fiberglass. Then came layer after layer after layer of rolled on resin. Four or five I think. Honestly I lost count! :-). I...
  13. V

C27 foredeck re-core

I reluctantly got up at 0555 this morning. After feeding the cats and getting my wife and me some coffee (not in that order), I was off to the boat. I can't tell you how nice it is to have our slip less than 1/4 mile from the house. It makes all this so much more tolerable. After a quick...
  14. V

C27 foredeck re-core

Okay. Got the 1708 cut with my deck template. It's all ready to go on. I was waiting for it to cool down but it's still 95 deg at 7p. I may have to wait til morning and do a quick sand and wipe down with mineral spirits then put the last layer of glass down.
  15. V

C27 foredeck re-core

One more.