Recent content by RussC

1. RussC

This could have Merit (or: look what followed me home)

I couldn't stand the suspense and put in some time after dinner tonight. Yippie!!! I'm a happy boy! A little paint touch up where the straps were.... install the vinyl water line stripe.... maybe one or two other things left to do :laugh:
  2. RussC

We've been having rain showers off and on for a few days so progress has slowed somewhat but still managed to get the trailer reconfigured and painted today. As long as I was at it I also added 18" to the trailer tongue, although it may or may not really need it. when the paint is a bit dryer...
  3. RussC

Deck clutter (aka storage)

I also like to keep the deck clear, lines neatly gathered etc. one thing that was always in my way was the whisker pole. it doesn't get used every time out, but when I want it I don't want to dig around in the cabin for it so I built this aluminum storage tube into the cabin wall. it tucks up...
  4. RussC

positioned under the boat, winch and bow stop reconfigured.................. slow but steady :)
  5. RussC

I've gotten the bottom painted at last. sprayed waterborne acrylic pool paint with my airless sprayer. it took way longer to mask it than it did to actually spray, and the finish is nice and even. worked well. for $48.00 a gallon (more than enough material for this boat) I figure it's worth the...
  6. RussC

Back from three glorious days on our local lake. what a hoot Saturday sailing our M25 5 Kts on a reach under jib alone. 20-25Kt winds. But now it's back to "work" on the Merit. got the old trailer out this morning and the replacement stripped down and ready to begin modifications. first time...
  7. RussC

I did not. I actually did buy some Lime, but wasn't sure if it was really the right stuff, as it was labeled "hydrated lime" and I forgot to pick up the drano. I had some "pure lye" was wasn't sure if that was the same either, so I played it safe and continued with the Citrus Strip that I had...
  8. RussC

I spent the past couple days building these supports in preparation to lift the boat off the trailer. I'll be stripping off the remaining old bottom coat and repainting below the water line. after that I can begin setting up the replacement trailer. progress is slow, but progressing ;). All that...
  9. RussC

Well that was fun :(. this photo was taken early this morning. by evening the bulk of the paint was on the ground with just some minor sanding and polishing left to do on the hull above the water line. then it comes off the trailer to do below the water line. should be easier as I won't be so...
  10. RussC

:yikes::yikes: wow. that's some very good information to have rgranger. thanks for that info :clap:. actually I'm not sure why I'm not dead already, after painting many cars in garages without any ventilation, building fiberglass kayaks in similar surroundings, having my hands in solvent for 40...
  11. RussC

Yikes :yikes:. I'll bet that concoction gets with the program all right, but a little toxic for my taste. the Citrus Strip is working well for me so far, plus it has that fresh spring scent. :laugh:
  12. RussC

Why why why do people paint hulls above the water line? perhaps there's a smallish boo boo so the whole boat gets painted? maybe it's some trick paint that guarantees 1/2 Kt extra speed? I don't know what this stuff is, but it reminds me of grandpas picket fence after a "whitewash". appears to...
  13. RussC

I did an extensive slow walk-about on the deck before purchase and didn't feel any soft areas at all.
  14. RussC

{splash} !@#$%^ &*!!!

10 days or so ago the wife and I spent 4 days on the lake. wile there I had my drone to get some new aerial photos, but the only practical way I've found to launch and retrieve it safely is by using a floating dock out in the middle of the lake. it works well. the last day we were there I...
  15. RussC

Funny Friday!!!

From the looks of the bumper, several have wanted a closer look. :)