jssailem's Recent Activity

1. jssailem replied to the thread Question about running mast head light wires..

Hi Jim. We sailors are an inventive lot. We find a hole and we stuff it. Early on boats used solid masts. All lines ran down the...

Jun 17, 2019 at 5:48 AM
  2. jssailem replied to the thread Hot Water Heater and Salt Water.

That would be the target for your engine thermostat. Should work.

Jun 16, 2019 at 9:14 PM
  3. jssailem liked Scott T-Bird's post in the thread Corrected time was our friend this time!.

Starboard tack was taking us to the left side of the course, which I thought was also a little more favorable with wave action that...

Jun 16, 2019 at 6:43 PM
  4. jssailem liked Davidasailor26's post in the thread Corrected time was our friend this time!.

Nice! Sounds like a lot of fun. You're right that a few more boats could be nice, but for your first few starts a small fleet can help...

Jun 16, 2019 at 6:37 PM
  5. jssailem liked Stu Jackson's post in the thread Diesel Dip Stick.

If your situational awareness is so non-functional as to be unaware of that kind of happenstance, then how many hours you run your...

Jun 16, 2019 at 6:36 PM
  6. jssailem liked Tally Ho's post in the thread Survey - Sea Trial Issues and Questions.

Maybe you ask to hold some $$ in escrow until you verify that all is well with the electronics / electrical systems. I bought my boat...

Jun 16, 2019 at 6:27 PM
  7. jssailem replied to the thread Corrected time was our friend this time!.

Congrats to you Scott and your crew Ward. Sounds like a good learning experience. With each of these adventures you guys are getting...

Jun 16, 2019 at 6:26 PM
  8. jssailem replied to the thread Survey - Sea Trial Issues and Questions.

You have a couple of ways to go. You should be happy with your purchase. If you are not you may always wonder about the boat. Choose a...

Jun 16, 2019 at 6:10 PM
  9. jssailem liked Will Gilmore's post in the thread I can't resist....

I like haggis. Hey, did you know the Irish gave the bagpipes to the Scots as a joke, but the Scots never caught on. -Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 16, 2019 at 5:53 PM
  10. jssailem replied to the thread We are there!!!.

The Juan D’Fuca Strait. Air Temperature: 57.7 F Water Temperature: 51.4 F Typical Summer Temps... Winter water temps as well. And folk...

Jun 16, 2019 at 5:40 PM
  11. jssailem liked TomY's post in the thread We are there!!!.

Wow!! How long does it take to warm up, Dave? What is the typical summer temperature of Lake Ontario? I count our sailing season as 5...

Penobscot Bay Temps. 2018.png Nov. 17 2018.jpg Jun 16, 2019 at 5:35 PM
  12. jssailem liked quadrille38's post in the thread Quick VC17 Bottom Paint Question.

I put the mixed paint in one of those condiment bottles they sell in grocery stores. Dribble a little on the roller each time. Uses a...

Jun 16, 2019 at 5:31 PM
  13. jssailem liked Ward H's post in the thread Boiling Batteries.

Excellent links by Dave and Stu. When reading the links to the marinehowto.com website, you will note in the one on choosing a battery...

Jun 16, 2019 at 5:30 PM
  14. jssailem liked agprice22's post in the thread Season 3 begins.

I will treat this as a Seasonal Journal. We are beginning season 3 with our Telstar. She is getting better, faster, more comfortable,...

Jun 16, 2019 at 4:01 PM
  15. jssailem replied to the thread Hot Water Heater and Salt Water.

I do but with which company? I would look to a company like "Quick", "Torrid", "Isotherm", or maybe "Kuma". These tend to be the higher...

Jun 16, 2019 at 3:56 PM