Recent content by joshnewbury

1. J

O’Day 322 throttle and transmission cable replacement

Thanks, the more I look into it the more fun this job looks... Has to be done though.
  2. J

I’ve driven lots of boats with this configuration and I prefer it. Never got confused.
  3. J

Changing the cables just made my to do list. Any tips tricks would be appreciated. Has anybody changed the controls from the standard lever shifter to the configuration where the throttle is on the right and the forward reverse is on the left?
  4. J

O’Day 322 Keel Bolts

I just torqued the front bolt to spec as originally configured.
  5. J

O’Day 322 port light latch upgrade

I just replaced my annoying Beckson latches with knobs. Wish I had done it years ago... https://www.fisheriessupply.com/beckson-replacement-portlight-twist-knob
  6. J

O’Day 322 Keel Bolts

I bedded the plate in G Flex, waited a day then torqued the bolts. I used a multiplier which made it much easier!
  7. J

O’Day 322 Keel Bolts

I didn’t drop the keel, I think I’m good with that. It’s held up so far...
  8. J

O’Day 322 Keel Bolts

I’ve had the plate fabricated in 1/2 inch 316 stainless. I’m going to install and tighten down tomorrow.
  9. J

O’Day 322 Keel Bolts

That makes sense. I don’t know much about bonding either but do know that my washers were almost gone and looked like electrolysis. I’m sure there a bunch of people much smarter than me that could weigh in.
  10. J

O’Day 322 Keel Bolts

One more note on a problem that I uncovered on my 322. The rear keel bolt was not bonded. I never thought about it before this project but now think it presents a problem. The three larger bolts have plates that are bonded. I think the lack of bonding contributed to the poor condition of the...
  11. J

O’Day 322 Keel Bolts

The rear small bolt takes 1 1/8 extra deep socket. I bought Sunex 236xd. The front three take 1 1/2 extra deep socket. I bought a Sunex 248xd. You will also need a 10 inch extension Sunex 2510 worked for me. I originally tried an extension bought at autozone and it was really wobbly.
  12. J

O’Day 322 Keel Bolts

Yes, we just ordered a piece of 316. There is usually a bit of standing water but the existing smaller plates lasted this long so I should be good.
  13. J

O’Day 322 Keel Bolts

Thanks, I’m going to have it made up in 1/4 inch stainless and bed it in G Flex. I’ll have it drilled and tapped for the 2 bilge pumps and attachments for bonding wire too.
  14. J

O’Day 322 Keel Bolts

I inspected the keel sump area in and out and am glad that what looked to be a crack in the picture I posted is actually just inconsistencies in the fibergalss layup. I’ve made a template and will have it made up this week.
  15. J

O’Day 322 Keel Bolts

Thanks! The small bolt is aft. There has been a couple bumps over the years but none in the last 10. No damage on exterior noted. I’ll do some more digging tomorrow and post the results.