Recent content by JLKirby

1. J

Low engine RPM

Les my sensor is mounted in the bell housing,I wish it was in the alternator it would be easy to get to.I have to lay on the starter battery and with my hands bent backwards you have to be double jointed to get to it.But I guess you know all about that.Thanks for the heads up.James
  2. J

Low engine RPM

My exhaust muffler is only 3 years old and only been in salt for a few hours.I did buy an electronic tach and checked the rpm and it said 3555 instead of the 2600 the onboard tach was showing and I am in the process of isolating which component is causing the trouble the sender or the tach...
  3. J

Low engine RPM

I did check the bell housing mounted sender and I only got 1.2 K ohms,I forgot to put the K on my post.so will reading 300 ohms low affect the tachometer in the control panel?Didn't check the voltage but will tomorrow when I go back to the boat.Thanks very much for the info Charles.
  4. J

Low engine RPM

Many thanks to all of the good help replies,I got my optical rpm reader a couple of days ago and I fired the engine up and slowly ran it up to the top speed and when I used the optical reader it showed 3555 rpm and the tach on the control panel was still showing 2600.I thought the engine sounded...
  5. J

Pearson 303 : Yanmar 2GM(F) Core Cleaning Made Easy

I always say it's hard to argue about good results and if this works it beats taking the heat exchanger out and maybe having a few days down time.James
  6. J

Low engine RPM

I do have an optical reader on order and it should be here later this week,I was just calling it a tach because I was thinking in terms of a electronic tachometer.James
  7. J

Low engine RPM

Capt Rob, I did order a tach yesterday so it will be a few days before it gets here so I guess I will wait until then to start.The previous owner did install the electric fuel pump and I ran the boat up the ICW from Port Charlotte to Port Ritchie with the engine running just fine and it would...
  8. J

Low engine RPM

I will double check the new fuel pump to see if it is rated the same or better gpm than the old one.Also that exhaust elbow is a good thought since when the engine cranks I get a puff of black smoke come out of the cockpit drain beside the engine.Thank you very much and I have made a list and...
  9. J

Low engine RPM

I thank everyone for the good ideas for things to check so now I will be busy working for a week at least to check all of this,but I really appreciate the good knowledge on this site and I should have joined when I first bought parts a couple of years ago because several heads working on a...
  10. J

Low engine RPM

Filters looked like new but I replaced both just to see.I am going to drain and clean out the less than a year old tank and pickup with sending unit. I ordered a tach following a link from 2013 on a search I did for low throttle,pickup and screen and fuel tank are less than a year old.Fuel...
  11. J

Low engine RPM

According to the Yanmar service manual that came with the boat no load max speed is 3825+50 and minumin low speed is 850.Glad you asked that question because my no load idle is about 500rpm and I need to raise it up by 350 which will help.
  12. J

Low engine RPM

You are correct in saying that someone did something to the throttle system since I found the broken and separated cable which I did replace.After reading all of the other people's problems after doing a search I believe I will do as you suggest and get someone to help me on checking whether the...
  13. J

Low engine RPM

I have a 1987 Hunter 31 with the 2GM20F engine.The problem I am having is I can't get the RPM up past 2400 at full throttle while unloaded.The throttle cable that was on it separated inside the steering housing and I replaced it with a 12 foot cable I bought on this site but the old broken cable...