Recent content by EJWash

1. EJWash

Electrical Issues - Shocking!

Keep in mind that in my case (and in other's, I'm sure) that the shore power breaker would trip (open) as soon as any power demand was applied to the boat. Troubleshooting with a thermometer or voltage meter was not an option.
  2. EJWash

THANK YOU! I ended-up going that route and traced is back to one of the AC breakers. Replaced it - all is well. Now I'm moving on to replacing my house batteries (12V) and updating my battery charger. The batteries are wet, and seem to be getting more thirsty every 3-months. The charger is the...
  3. EJWash

Joe, the batteries are at least five years old. Ya know, I haven't checked water levels in several months now. That will be a go-to. As far as I know, and from the maintenance records from the previous - and original owner - I assume that the battery charger is the original. Although just warm...
  4. EJWash

Thank you Hayden. Better way to go than swapping-out breakers that may not be bad.
  5. EJWash

Me: "Is there an option to close a discussion/thread?" "Jim26m likes this" Really dude?
  6. EJWash

Is there an option to close a discussion/thread?
  7. EJWash

Not at all. It has turned into an instant-interaction, constantly-connected world. I'm just not a part of it. Being that my charger is powered, and the batteries and bilge pump are good, my problem is not pressing. The mystery is the "all-of-a-sudden" angle of the problem. Something has...
  8. EJWash

I am way out of step with today's culture. I do not live my life with a cellphone in my hand, and it takes me time to answer folk's email. I do sincerely appreciate the input from those that seek to help others on this forum. There is one GFCI 120VAC outlet mounted on the electrical panel. It...
  9. EJWash

The battery charger is war to the touch - not hot in the sense that I pull my hand away because the case is uncomfortable.
  10. EJWash

Okay. Today I replaced the shore power inlet on my boat, and decided that it was time to replace the shore power cord as well. The good news is that the outlet replacement went well, and the breaker on the dock does not trip when I handle the shore power cord at the boat's inlet. The bad news...
  11. EJWash

Thanks for the responses. So, here's an update. The recommendations from some of you to check the shore power cord connection to the boat presented a clue. The power inlet on the boat is stainless stell, and has a threaded outer flange which a threaded collar on the shore power cord couples to...
  12. EJWash

The boat: 1989 Catalina 30 MKII The issue: Shore power circuit breaker tripping Hi All, My boat is in a slip, with 120VAC shore power. The dock-mounted shore power receptacle is on a 30-amp circuit breaker. After more than three years of no issues since I’ve been in this particular slip, I...
  13. EJWash

Sailboat Instruments

The more I read, the more valid your point. Even with the common convention of NMEA2000, I'm reading that it is not, in fact, plug-and-play. MFD is enticing, but I'm beginning to see where there's a price to it. Maybe the convienence plays more nicely on a larger boat than my coastal cruiser. EJ
  14. EJWash

Sailboat Instruments

Again, I appreciate your time, and for passing along your experience. During pre-purchase survey, the was pointed-out that the AP really needs attention, as in a rebuild. While I realize that a rebuild is cheaper than a new AP system, but it's time to update. Point taken on losing the MFD...
  15. EJWash

Sailboat Instruments

Thanks. That's good info. My ST4000 isn't NMEA, so I'd need to replace it if I wanted it to "talk" on a network set-up anyway. Ray marine's new autopilots are NMEA, so it probably talks to B&G products. BTW, I downloaded the Owner's Manual for both the Raymarine aSeries, and the B&G Zeus. B&G...