Recent content by anchor1800

1. A

Tiller pilot help

My current tiller pilot is a Nautech which if I have my company buy outs correct became Autohelm, than Raytheon Marine, than the current Raymarine. I am not sure what if anything remained compatible over that period. Everything I have been able to get my hands on (which isn't much) points to...
  2. A

Tiller pilot help

Hi Alan, thanks for suggesting the Pelagic option. I had never heard of them before, do you have experience using it? I've been reviewing their material online and like what I see so far from a technical standpoint. The product does look a little "raw" which I don't mind so long as it works...
  3. A

Tiller pilot help

I'm looking for some thoughts on selecting a tiller pilot for my Catalina 30. The old tiller pilot that came with the boat needs to be replaced, it can only marginally hold a course and more often than I am comfortable with goes haywire and puts the boats into a circle. I have been looking...
  4. A

SALT TO FRESH?

I do not have a universal so am not certain this applies, but I would ensure to leave the engine running while flushing with fresh water. If you flush while the engine is not running, you could run the risk of forcing water back up the exhaust and into the cylinders.
  5. A

Hello, new Catalina 30 owner here

Thanks all for the replies and advice, really some great stuff in here. Some additional background on me, I grew up on the water up in NY on the South Shore of Long Island. I moved to Philly a number of years ago and had been without easy access to a boat of my own for some time. To help fix...
  6. A

Window leaks 420 Passage

I am thinking out loud here that the leak may be elsewhere and is running down the window until it reaches the knob, which acts as a drip point. Some photos or more detail would help. Note that sometimes (especially on a boat) water can run "uphill" for a variety of reasons. I am resealing and...
  7. A

I agree @Justin_NSA! Thanks @Parsons. Yes, the material MaineSail has put out really helped me get started. I had never used butyl tape before, but I really love it! No sticky mess to clean up that you have with 4200 or other sealants. I ordered the window kit from Catalina Direct, and have...
  8. A

My home port is Philly. I grew up on the south shore of Long Island, spending most of my time in the flats and bays behind Jones Beach. The long story short is that this boat was a wedding present from my wife and she needed my family's help in choosing since she admittedly has very little...
  9. A

I already registered on the Moyer Marine forum. I had an issue over labor day and needed to play with the points, easy enough to remedy once I figured out it was the points that needed attention. There is an after market electronic ignition for the A4, I had not seriously considered making...
  10. A

Hi Stu, Thanks, I will check out the wiki. I certainly am not looking to reinvent the wheel here. She has the original atomic 4, it was well maintained and still has great compression. I am considering adding the aftermarket oil filter to avoid changing the oil every 50 hours.
  11. A

Hi all, I'm a new Catalina 30 owner. She is a '78, and I have had a bunch of fun in the few months I owned her so far. I have a winter full of neglected maintenance to catch up on, and my own list of improvements to start. But I believe she has good bones and with a little love can serve me...