SML
rgranger

SML

Hi Rob, Was looking at the pics of your V21 restoration and it looks really nice. Was surprised to see it rigged as a cutter. I'd seen info that some V21's were rigged that way but some on this forum said that was not right-- they never were done that way. Anyhow, one question I have is whether you got it that way or did you do the mod? Also is there a chain plate connecting the staysail to the foredeck or is it just a u-bolt with a backing plate?

On another subject, I was reading yours and others posts about the DIY peel away solution for bottom paint and that raised a couple of questions. One is whether there's any significant difference in efficacy between using KOH vs. NaOH ? I know you're a chemist and I'm guessing obtaining KOH may not be a big deal for you but I don't know where I would be able to buy it. Another poster said "Red Devil Lye" was pure NaOH and it should be available in a supermarket. Am wondering if chasing the KOH is worth the extra effort?
I'm also wondering how viscous the final solution is/could be? Reason for this question is that as I've got my swing keel out for rehab and while there's access, was thinking about mixing some of this up and using it in the keel trunk area BUT am looking for a way to get a good wetting of that space without taking a shower in the slop. Could be mixed thin enough to be sprayable with a cheapie garden sprayer? I have an old 2-gallon one I'm willing to sacrifice one to the job if it'll keep me a practical distance from the goop. Finally, borrowing from what I think was one of your posts, is: two cans of drain-o (or maybe Red Devil Lye), a bag of lime(what size bag?) and a 5lb bag of sugar mixed in a 5 gal PVC bucket a good recipe? the sugar's probably easier for me to get than glycerin.

Thanks!

Media information

Album
Restoration of a Macgregor V21
Added by
rgranger
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata