Anyone Recognize This?

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
This has been kicking around our club for a long time. everyone seems to be afraid to toss it as it may actually belong somewhere but nobody knows where. Thought perhaps someone would recognize it and tell us what sort of boat it belongs to.

Jun 2, 2004
This has been kicking around our club for a long time. everyone seems to be afraid to toss it as it may actually belong somewhere but nobody knows where. Thought perhaps someone would recognize it and tell us what sort of boat it belongs to.

Having a difficult time posting the pictures from my phone but here is one

Attachments

Jun 2, 2004

Another

Attachments

Jun 2, 2004

the last

Attachments

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
It looks like a centerboard to me. Perhaps a dink about 16 feet? After the last pic, I'd say a Hobie 14 or 16 rudder also.

Jun 2, 2004
We figured a centerboard and were thinking perhaps a Catalina 22 just supposition based on the boats that have come and gone

Jun 2, 2004
Definitely a Catalina 22 looking at a YouTube video on how to remove one.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
IF you discard it someone will need one in the next week! Upcycle it...….a mobile? a cockpit table? a lee board or a K/CB for a home built boat?

Jun 2, 2004
Definitely a Catalina 22 looking at a YouTube video on how to remove one.
oops

miss typed I meant to say it was not a Catalina 22 centerboard. Wrong shape altogether

Thanks Gene for catching that

Last edited:

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Looks to me more like a kick up rudder. The two small holes would be used to pull it up or hold it down while pivoting on the larger more centered hole. No idea what boat though, would be small.

dj

Jun 2, 2004
It has a similar shape and about the same length but is a little wider than the one for my 23.5.
I was waiting for this.
The really funny part is this is a tape measure I keep in the truck it's been there with my name on it for almost five years I use it all the time. My other tape measures have all been replaced two or three times while this one seems to last and last and last

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I think it looks more like a rudder blade.... from a beach cat or dinghy. It would fit in some kind of bracket and the retrieval strap or kick up bungee wraps over the rounded top end. My Nacra 5.2 uses a similarly sized pair with a somewhat different shape and hole arrangement.

Here's the deal..... it is NOT junk. Almost all foils (underwater blades) are proprietary designs....and this piece doesn't look home made. All you have to do is google the price of a replacement rudder blade, or dagger board for that matter, for a reality check. The used ones ain't cheap. New ones are jaw dropping. Check this site, https://www.murrays.com/ that specializes in dinghy and beach cat parts to see what I mean. They sell this oem design rudder blade for a cool $425!!!!

So for a bit of fun, what I would suggest is cleaning it up, repainting with epoxy paint, then mounting it somewhere that gets traffic..... I guarantee someone will recognize it and make an offer.