Flying the American flag

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
What is the general opinion of flying the American flag at highest position just below the starboard spreader? Maybe pennants such as US Army, US Navy (served in both) below her? On my Catalina 250 stern or mast flying of American flag does not work well since I have solar panels across the stern. Chief

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
I agree with the backstay, no real room for a pole on the stern due to solar and davit placements.

Nov 26, 2012
Jackdaw: After 21 yrs military service I know exact proper concept but it is NOT practical to fly her on stern or backstay. Have tried back stay and it is not practical plus solar panels are in the way for stern pole.(backstay is split) Just wondering if there are any exceptions tolerated to policy. May fly her on yardarm anyway after serving 9 war campaigns! Chief

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Jackdaw: After 21 yrs military service I know exact proper concept but it is NOT practical to fly her on stern or backstay. Have tried back stay and it is not practical plus solar panels are in the way for stern pole.(backstay is split) Just wondering if there are any exceptions tolerated to policy. May fly her on yardarm anyway after serving 9 war campaigns! Chief
You don't need to read your resume to me. You asked a specific question, I gave you a specific answer. Read the flag code, then do what you want. You're the only one that will need to tolerate it.

Nov 26, 2012
Jackdaw: was not intended to upset you. Didn't ask for specific, that was the point ,was asking "general opinion". Chief

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The "Ensign" and the American Flag are different. Does each have its own rules for display? Do the etiquette rules for the American Flag (Folding, disposal, lighting, hours of display etc.) apply to the Ensign?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
After a race, and some tequila, we “borrowed “ one from a yacht club. We flew it from the mast as a mainsail would be carried, but with no clew. It was 25 feet tall on the mast! Pretty spectacular but we were persuaded to return it to the club. It looked mighty fine as we motored along in the Intercoastal. Probably not good etiquette, but we got applause from the shore in many places!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
There was a ketch on LI's East End who flew an enormous American Flag from their mizzen mast. Probably not correct but it was a stirring sight. But I like to use due respect for the veterans who have served and others who care about way either the flag or Ensign are displayed.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
NOT practical to fly her on stern
If you have a pushpit with a central upright, you should be able to attach a flagpole to it with two hose clamps and fly the ensign from it. That’s what I did and it works fine.

Nov 26, 2012
Would take one hell of a pole to get the flag high enough above the solar panels so it would not hit them! I will check though, thanks. Chief

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
IN place of the back stay, I've used the topping lift. But I also, understand its not always easy to reach others. As long as it is flown with the highest position available you can fly it most any way you want. Starboard spreader works if all others are vacant.

I believe if you look the order would be something like this
1. Back stay/topping lift 1/3 from the masthead
2. Stern flag pole
3. Starboard spreader

I also understand there should be 1" of hoist for every foot of boat so 30" tall flag is appropriate for a 30' boat.

Fair winds

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I've been reading a few stories of the schooners of old. Many would not display the colors until they sited another boat. With solar panels on the dinghy davits, a radar dome, wind generator, and SSB antenna all in the stern I can still find some way to display the colors long enough to tatter two flags a season. I feel the 3 X 5 foot size is about right for our boat.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
As Jackdaw said
You're the only one that will need to tolerate it.
But you asked for opinions.
IMHO, attempt to follow the flag code. If that is not possible, I wouldn't object to flying it from another respectful location. I wouldn't consider flying it where it could be fouled by a sail as being respectful. For example: Flying it from the spreaders while in port would OK with me. Flying it from the spreaders while sailing wouldn't be. Raising the flag in any location and leaving it fly until its shredded really irritates me. I've gone as far as leaving a replacement on a boat whose owner was flying a shredded flag and the new one was flying next time I saw the boat.
Heck, now a days you see flags flying from car windows, pickup truck beds and the back of fire trucks.
Just be respectful.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Once I had the thought to have a sailmaker sew me a genoa all blue with white stars. Then do the main with red and white stripes. I’d fly them just on holidays or when passing some of the military bases along the east coast. My wife said as soon as I get everything else fixed. Well there you go.

Nov 26, 2012
Thanks, asked for opinions and appreciated the returns. More than most anyone, I do not want to offend, and as I said; I have served this nation and this flag like few others. Chief