Engine Hour (LCD) Meter Repair

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
There is no risk if you use Paypal with Ebay purchases, don't receive the goods they refund the payment and more importantly the seller doesn't get your CC info

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
There is no risk if you use Paypal with Ebay purchases, don't receive the goods they refund the payment and more importantly the seller doesn't get your CC info
I was more leaning toward risk the item may not work with your tach. But its less than half the price of the other link I used, so give it a shot and let us know! It'd be great to have a cheap, proven source for those LCDs which seem to go out with regularity.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Ordered on last night, delivery states about 2 wks, then it's a matter of installing it, which will be sometime in the future, I also ordered a Hobbs meter from Granger which I will pickup tomorrow. I am going to wire the Hobbs meter before the boat goes back in this spring, and just log the differential once I see if I can get the original to show me whats on the clock, if I remember correctly the last reading that was visible (2017 season) the accumulated hours were around 927 and I know that I ran roughly 27 hours during the 2018 season. Should start a pool on who can guess closest to the accumulated hours once known.......

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 44 Mystic, Ct
For what it is worth, I gave up on VDO after two failed units and installed a Hobbs meter a few years ago. Last year I installed a KUS (made in China and purchased on Amazon) tachometer with hour meter display and it worked just fine. Installation and calibration was very easy. Only difference is that the KUS has a chrome bezel. You do need to know how many poles your alternator has and the pulley ratio between your alternator and crankshaft to get alternator pulses per engine RPM. You input the number of pulses per engine RPM and your all set. I compared the new tach to a strobe tach and had very good correlation.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Alright so I received my LCD replacement from China (labeled VDO/Kenworth/Penta odometer), thank you very much @tfox2069 in like a week (amazing how quick things can come across the globe) installed it in less than 30 minutes and badabing display is bright and clear 1156.7 hours showing. Disassembly and reassembly has been covered in previous posts. The hardest part is getting the old LCD up out of its nest, I used the same razor knife I used to lift the numerical face plate (as shown in previous repair vids) worked the tip of the knife into the opposite end of the screen from the ribbon cable end and just kept prying gently upward, you could hear the adhesive releasing, then it just popped up.
The new display's ribbon cable is flat while the existing is folded in an "S" shape you will have to kinda preshape this before you can make the connection into the cable socket, but after you feed the cable through the clear plastic face frame, once through the slot and the new screen seated all I did was press gently down on the numerical face plate and reseated both the face plate and the LCD display. I found the pin out online to power up the hour meter, display is just like new......... yeah!!! I am still going to mount the Hobbs hour meter in a convenient location just in case this happens again, but for now all is well.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
DayDreamer,
Had the same problem with my Yanmar / VDO hour meter a few years ago. Tried the cleaning fix unsuccessfully and finally added a mechanical hobbs meter. I would like to try the replacement LCD display that you installed. I assume your installation was on a Yanmar, correct? Did it require any programming as detailed in some previous posts?

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
@BigEasy love the screen name and avatar, yes I replaced the LCD on a Yanmar engine panel on our 2007 Hunter 41 DS no programming required, slip the old one out, put the new on in, exactly the same size. Like I said it probably took as long to write it up on here and search the pin out to power it up and test as it did to change out the LCD. I couldn't believe how fast they got the part to me, ordered from an ebay on 3/28 arrive on 4/5 from a supplier in China.

The link I used supplied by tfox2069 https://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-Displa...648413?hash=item1a5e9f4edd:g:3QMAAOSwn6dbbR2S
Mark

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I will order the LCD display tonight!
Much thanks to all of you for sharing the information; I had given up hope on repairing the VDO hour meter.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
My drop in replacement was also to a Yanmar 3ym30 panel in the cockpit. Worked like a charm. No programming required. Repair shop said it couldn’t be done. ;)

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
tfox,
Thanks for the update and ordering source. That's the application that I am using it for, a 3YM30. Hope that my repair goes as well as you and Mark's.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
So, any luck?
Thanks for checking. Received the replacement display about 3 weeks ago. Trying to get all the exterior in shape before it gets too hot and take care of the engine maintenance also. Then there is house stuff too! The tach project will likely be delayed until July when I will be hibernating indoors escaping the heat. Let you know how it turns out. Meanwhile the dependable Hobbs hour meter is still ticking.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Sounds good. I'll stay tuned. Another marina mate is about to start this process as well. He's tracking who everyone is ordering from to ensure LCD compatibility with his Hunter 41DS.

UPDATE: Repair was successful on my friend's 41DS prior to their leaving for the Caribbean. Looks like we have several success stories now.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
If you have access to the circuit board, inspect all component solder joints for cold solder joints. They will look a dull grey and not smooth. Take a small tip 25W solder iron with a clean and tinned tip and remelt the solder. No more than ~3 sec. on a joint...

May 2, 2019
Hunter 38 Annapolis, MD
The problems with the LCD hour display are wide spread over many years in my six years of commentary observation. It has been reported the LCD display is failing even on replacement units. In every case I have seen, the hour accumulation continues normally, only the display is failing.
In your case of failing tach needle postion something additional is happening. The tach signal is corrupted some how. It is a good start to examine grounding as well as power supply. The tach needle is driven by a motor controled by electronics that respond to the tach signal applied to the unit. My signal comes from the alternator. You should investigate the quality of this signal in addtion to ground connections.
North Star

If changing out the LCD, will the original hours still display after the correction?

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Just as another update on this problem. I ordered one from this site, arrived in mail couple weeks later. Followed their You-tube proceedure and just tried out over the weekend. Worked great. Although I didn't realize I had that many hours on the engine as the meter has not worked for several years......

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Just as another update on this problem. I ordered one from this site, arrived in mail couple weeks later. Followed their You-tube proceedure and just tried out over the weekend. Worked great. Although I didn't realize I had that many hours on the engine as the meter has not worked for several years......

I repaired ours during the off season last year, installed in the spring and it is still working wonderfully.

Mar 10, 2020
Beneteau Oceanis 50 Currently in the Caribbean
Thanks to all who posted here, particularly Northstar and DayDreamer41.

I bought the LCD from China, and fitted it yesterday to my Yanmar Tach. It took a few seconds to light up the LCD on first power, but now shows the hours immediately upon ignition, everytime. Brilliant! Its bugged me for ages, and without a good spot to mount an aftermarket hour-meter, this is such a good fix.

One point for other Yanmar owners - It was a bit tricky getting behind the faceplate - holding it up while getting the old screen out. Would be nice if someone had advice on getting the tach needle out, so you could do the repair without the faceplate in the way (looked different than either VDO or Vovlo Tach needles, which seem to come off easily).

I would also recommend making sure you have a couple of spare bulbs on hand, so you can replace those while its out.

Otherwise it was as everyone else commented - pretty easy and straightforward.

Thanks again.