Kansaki Trans Dip Stick problem

Dec 18, 2016
Hunter 306 ft lauderdale
My trans dip stick broke off leaving the threaded piece in the housing. Any methods to get out. I bought and extractor yesterday but it did not ever seat and slowly began to spin. i stopped to avoid dropping any plastic in trans. thanks tom 2003 hunter 306

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Seems that a large enough extractor or "easy out" would do the trick.
You may also try to cut a slot across the face of the broken end that remains in the tranny and use a very large flat blade screw driver to unscrew it. Also, you may try using a small flat blade screw driver and engaging it on the surface close to the threads and tapping it gently with a hammer to rotate the broken piece counter clockwise. Finally, you might try using contact cement to glue the two broken halves together to retrieve it and replace with a new one immediately. Do not get any of the contact cement anywhere near the threads or you will make the situation worse.

Jul 19, 2015
Beneteau 343 BVI
If the hole is big enough you might get a set of inside pipe wrenches I’ve had luck getting broken off pvc and metal nipples out with them. I think I got my set from Home Depot.

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
Well when it happened to us, we looked around for some sort of a "Magyver" solution. And er... well, I gently stuck a cork from a wine bottle in and gave a gentle twist. I mean it wasnt a rusted bolt. Damn if it didnt start turning. Then, a half a bottle of wine later, (kidding), the plastic came out. Dont think any got in the tranny, but I figure if any did, its just cork.

Cheers

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
plastic parts on trans fill tubes are notorious for breaking , i've seen it on yanmars too. be sure to grease any threads on the trans fill cap w/ trans oil and not tighten it too tight. the yanmar cap was a 2 month special order, what a p i a. gorilla tape to the rescue.

Dec 18, 2016
Hunter 306 ft lauderdale
the large blade screwdriver worked well. had the cork ready. thank you all. new stick is in after grease and not too tight. tom

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Has anyone made a metal version of the dip stick? I've gone thru 2-3 pieces of this plastic dip sticks already. Been lucky so far, no parts stuck or dropped into the gear box.

KenY

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Has anyone made a metal version of the dip stick? I've gone thru 2-3 pieces of this plastic dip sticks already. Been lucky so far, no parts stuck or dropped into the gear box.

KenY
As I recall, a Hunter owner in Marina del Rey had some made up that he was selling. Check the Hunter Owners Sailboat site on Facebook and look up Bob Atkins. Check here in Parts too.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Thanks for the info on the Cariblue Marine dipstick. Received it yesterday; excellent quality. A bit expensive but "you get what you pay for." No more worries of stripping or breaking the OEM plastic plug. Note that you can order only the threaded plug version and use the existing metal dip stick portion in the new threaded plug.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Hopefully you have this sorted by now. I had this very thing happen to me a month after I bought my H36 with a Yanmar 3YM30 and Kanzaki transmission last year. I took a pocketknife and gently worked the blade down into the dipstick hole, and then carefully unscrewed the remains of the plastic dipstick, which, thankfully, came out in one piece. No joy in finding the part anywhere on a Sunday morning, so I safety wired the remains of the cap in place and did a weekend cruise. I promptly ordered the aluminum machined cap from bob@caribluemarine.com, as others have suggested, and while pricey, I have to say I didn't bat an eyelid at paying the price for what I know will be my last transmission dipstick. Well worth knowing I'll NEVER have this problem again, which includes a risk of damage to your transmission!!

Trans_Safety_Wire.jpeg