Looking for information about Beneteau 440

Gerri

May 14, 2019
Beneteau 440 Colon, Panama
I am a writer and I am researching information about the 440. I know nothing about sailing and in my book I have my character crashing into the jetty at Garden City, SC

What I would like to know is how fast do they go?
Is it a wooden hull or fiberglas?
What kind of engine?

You can contact me at writinglassie@gmail.com

Thank you.
Gerri

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Let us know when you publish your book. I hope the boat survives. I don't know about the character-yet.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Sailboats are slow, but large sailboats can be heavy. That boat displaces 22,000 lbs. dry (no fuel, no water, no provisions, no accessories or equipment). In a sailing configuration it can easily reach 25,000 lbs. Move 25,000 lbs at 7 knots and you are carrying a lot of force. In crash Diesel fuel is safe as it's flash point is much lower than gasoline. The good news is that a person moving at 7 knots in a crash probably has the strength to hold and stop himself with no serious injury unless he is at the point of impact where the crushing fiberglass would seriously hurt him. sailboats do have a keel that protrudes from the bottom of the boat and depending on the depth of the water it could slow or even stop a boat as it grounds. This boat has a Draft of 6 ft. and that keel has weight of almost 7,000 lbs or 1/3 of the total displacement of 22,000 lbs. It keeps the boat right side up. In case of crash the boat could jump up or get crushed against a jetty up to where the keel starts. No fiery crash like a power boat, not likely to sink as held by the jetty and very survivable unless the man set the autopilot and went to sleep in the V-berth at the bow.

Gerri

May 14, 2019
Great information thank you. How fast can this sailboat go on auto pilot? I need to make it look the crash created the severe injuries to my characters. At what speed would the hull be crushed on the rocks? Could the crash tear off the keel or simply bend it. This is probably not what your forum is for, but I really appreciate your information.

Gerri

May 14, 2019
If and when I get it published I will let you know. Sorry to say the boat doesn't survive.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Great information thank you. How fast can this sailboat go on auto pilot? I need to make it look the crash created the severe injuries to my characters. At what speed would the hull be crushed on the rocks? Could the crash tear off the keel or simply bend it. This is probably not what your forum is for, but I really appreciate your information.
Unfortunately I think strictly crashing into the jetty is going to give you a hard time causing that kind of damage or injury. On autopilot the boat will still be limited by the speed of the engine or power of the sails, so less than 10 knots. Anyone on the boat, even not holding on, in the worst case would be thrown into a bulkhead at that speed. Imagine running at a quick jog into a wall, and that's about the worst injury that could happen. The boat would probably be roughed up, but, as they say, it would buff out.

Obligatory YouTube clip of a boat being driven into a jetty a few times:

(That boat is probably stronger than the Beneteau, but still, the results are not catastrophic.)

If you want to have more injury or damage you'll probably want to have the boat pushed by storm driven waves into the jetty. If a 15 foot wave picks up the boat and carries it into the rocks I could imagine that causing more of the injury and damage that you're talking about.

Another clip of a boat being pushed by waves into a pier and aground:
(excitement starts around 2:05)

Gerri

May 14, 2019
Thank you, that is exactly the kind of information I needed. I guess I will have to increase my winds and have a large wave smash the boat against the jetty's rocks. And it is such a pretty boat too.