Busy launch weekend photos -post yours!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Less than a week after we got back from the Grenadines, BlueJ needed to be in the water. The deadline was more that self-imposed; last weekend was the first day of the club’s annual new-sailor series (which BlueJ always sails in) and our first series race is this Thursday. So after the boat was pulled from storage, a frantic 36 hours got us to this; waiting the 20 minutes for the VC17m bottom paint applied under the pad to dry while the boat hangs in the slings. The lifting keel really helps in spring painting.

2C85875C-89A2-4D31-BE3D-DC14BC20A3AB.jpeg

Rest of the day was spent cleaning, rigging, wiring, and tuning. Just in time, the next day was the start of the New Sailor on the water training. After 2 dry land sessions, new sailors jump in boats and crew around a rectangular course, learning trim and ROW for all points of sail and marks. We had 4 brand new sailors and they learned tons as we went around 6 times, flying the spin on two legs of every lap.

4F432AF5-9A5F-4ED4-9F53-ED9CC764F5C9.jpeg

Mindy drove the whole way, with some help from Jodi. Not perfect as you might expect but she loved it. It’s very strange for me for someone else to drive BlueJ during spin maneuvers, but with some guidance she did great. Asked if she could crew for us and drive, I politely told her that was probably not going to happen.

A7207F1C-3603-4BCB-BA0D-E832F5FB99EC.jpeg

Pic from shore, we blow by a friend on a Hunter 23. He asked after how we were so fast, and I showed him this pic.

EEA8C195-33E7-4E09-80C1-F976C9B0E4BD.jpeg

Got the RaceGeek mounted and wired in. Super cool. More on that later.

841E7D32-6118-418C-B715-4F8F23C59E44.jpeg

Finally, and evening sail with friends. Drank wine and listened to music as the sun set. Jodi and I apparently try to do a Bradley Cooper / Lady Gaga impression. Fun weekend!

D924F167-35C1-45FB-9D31-BA565B836808.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
The Hunter should have blown by you - he was using the motor!
LOL good eye! It wasn’t on. I know he has fiddly engine mount; not sure if he was letting it drag for this practice session, or if he always lets it drag and takes the ratings credit. He sails in PHRF two so I never see them on the course. Either way it wasn’t helping him. But either was that sail trim!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
It doesn't look like the Hunter had any wind in the sails. Looks like motorsailing to me!

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
The sail trim should have been rather the opposite, as you were just out of his shadow. :)

Nov 8, 2010
It doesn't look like the Hunter had any wind in the sails. Looks like motorsailing to me!
It was a light patch, probably 4 knots of breeze if that on a windward leg. He needed crew leeward to induce heel to keep the sails full, and crack off 5 degrees and let the sails breathe. As it was we could have been better. With 7 on board we had too much weight aft, in race mode I would have had crew go forward to get the transom out of the water. But my goal was to teach them sail trim, and not to sit on the rail.

Last edited:

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Our lake came up two feet in the last 18 hours. Crane is out of commission until the lake goes back down due to flooding. Might have to ramp launch! ;-(

Update: Add another foot in the last 12 hours. I'm dusting off the chesties.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Our lake came up two feet in the last 18 hours. Crane is out of commission until the lake goes back down due to flooding. Might have to ramp launch! ;-(
WOW! Lake Minnetonka rises fast as well due to a large watershed. But we also have a controllable dam floodgate at the headwaters of Minnehaha Creek that helps control the spring level. But the water was high, and caused us a problem because our spreaders are above the top of the mast crane, complicating the mast raising.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Patrick sent me a pic this morning. Not sure when it was taken but I'm pretty sure it is still rising! I hope all the new trees don't die! I'm already in my slip. One with the grey cover .

IMG_3417.jpg

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Well these are not from this year... these were taken when Uncle Crazy Dave help Kermit and me change out our centerboard lift line. You can see the water spilling from the ballast tank in the second pic. You may also notice my head sail is a little shot. I've since replaced it with a new one.
2016-06-09 17.57.37.jpg
IMG_0141.JPG

Here is a shot of my baby from last weekend.

I launched my boat a few weeks ago and she is now set up in her slip. I've been out twice so far this season.

IMG_1582[1].JPG

Attachments

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I'm not around when she goes in the water sometime between this weekend and next. Perhaps I'll be surprised when I make a visit tomorrow afternoon, but I doubt it. I'll take some before launch and after launch photos. We should bend sails next Saturday!

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
WOW! Lake Minnetonka rises fast as well due to a large watershed. But we also have a controllable dam floodgate at the headwaters of Minnehaha Creek that helps control the spring level. But the water was high, and caused us a problem because our spreaders are above the top of the mast crane, complicating the mast raising.
Been there! Lake moves up, crane doesn't.

They have our release gates closed because flooding downstream is significant. So, they impound at our place. Last year I had to put on my chest waders to get to my slip and was just about to spill over the top of those due to wave action in the parking lot ;-). Had lot's of water. Looks like we are headed that way again now. Water was coming in at 15,000 CFS this morning with zero going out.

Last edited:

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
CheneyDrought20110021.jpg 20181012_050554.jpg

A contrast in lake levels. Drought 2011 and flooding last fall - the flood pic is the patio under our club building and is probably 100 yards from the walkway to my slip where the water was close to chest deep.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
We've been in for one month today. Our marina doesn't give a specific time or day for launching or hauling, just week long windows, so I don't have any pictures in person. They do have a webcam that helps see the action, so this was ours being loaded into the travel lift.
Screenshot_20190408-091513~2.png

(That's a slight fisheye lens, not a 20° mast bend)

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I called the yard owner yesterday. I asked him to have his guys bottom paint and wax the topsides of my boat, because I can’t get there for another two weeks. It might even be warm enough to paint by the time I get there, it was 40 degrees and raining when I talked to him. It looks like its going to be an even shorter season than normal.

Nov 8, 2010
I called the yard owner yesterday. I asked him to have his guys bottom paint and wax the topsides of my boat, because I can’t get there for another two weeks. It might even be warm enough to paint by the time I get there, it was 40 degrees and raining when I talked to him. It looks like its going to be an even shorter season than normal.
I hear you. It dusted snow here last night, and there is a freeking blizzard in Bayfield. Wind-wise it's gusting into the 20s now. Our first race is this evening, going to be chilly. My run of always wearing shorts to G-series races might be in danger.

Apr 21, 2014
Hunter 356 Middle River, MD
We've been in for one month today. Our marina doesn't give a specific time or day for launching or hauling, just week long windows, so I don't have any pictures in person. They do have a webcam that helps see the action, so this was ours being loaded into the travel lift.
View attachment 164577

(That's a slight fisheye lens, not a 20° mast bend)
Looks like you are out of Tidewater, hope to see you around the upper bay anchoring sites.