Just bought a Catalina 22!

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
yup to what Gene sez...add a 1 to your hull number, 4555 would be very early model....(and chk your title and sail number too)...+ 1 to more pics!

Apr 16, 2019
Catalina 22 Bellingham
yup to what Gene sez...add a 1 to your hull number, 4555 would be very early model....(and chk your title and sail number too)...+ 1 to more pics!
I could have sworn that's the number that was etched into the hull. It's what I wrote down, and it's what was on the title. I will have to double check.

jberc

Dec 27, 2018
Catalina 22 13963 Lake of the Ozarks, MO
I could have sworn that's the number that was etched into the hull. It's what I wrote down, and it's what was on the title. I will have to double check.
There should be a metal plate in the cockpit with the hull number stamped on it, assuming of course it's not also printed in big black numbers on your mainsail. My VIN plate is right under the tiller inside the cockpit. I'm also a first time C22 owner of a 1987 New Design, Hull#13963.
This place is has an awesome amount of resources from owners who've already made every mistake you're ever going to. I've learned a ton just passively reading threads and found and fixed stuff I wouldn't have known to be broken after I saw something here that looked familiar. Best of luck to both of us in our first season.

Apr 16, 2019
Catalina 22 Bellingham
Your hull number is probably 14555. It's definitely not 4555.
You're most definitely right. Checked the plate on the inside of the transom and also the sails say in big black letters 14555. Have to go to the registration office and get that fixed on the title.

Apr 16, 2019
Catalina 22 Bellingham
You must post more pics when you get her home! :thumbup:
Your wish is my command!
Just got back from the first overnight trip. Cruised on over to an island that has a boat in only campground (no roads lead to it). Beautiful spot. Was 7 miles across to get to it and the weather was pretty gusty so I just motored there. You seasoned sailors would probably have scoffed, but I didn't feel comfortable hoisting the sails in those conditions being my first time. Waves were crashing over the bow and my clothes got ******* soaked in sea spray. First lesson learned: 1)Always prepare for the worst and don't fully trust weather forecasts. I'll keep raingear on board for sure from now on. Other lessons learned: 2) Quarter the bigger waves instead of heading straight into them. 3) It's good to have a second anchor on board and extra line. The spot we spent the night was tight so definitely needed a stern line tied to shore to keep the boat from swinging into the rocks during tide changes. All in all, the trip went smoothly, I learned a lot, and I even pulled into the slip back at the marina without hitting anyone/anything!
Lummi4.jpg
Lummi1.jpg
Lummi2.jpg
Lummi3.jpg
bruceandshadow mtbaker.jpg
039.JPG

Last edited:

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Congrats! You can easily have your head sail hank on before you leave and use some line to secure it. I did this with my sails for possible changes.

Apr 3, 2015
catalina catalina 22 Carolina beach NC
congrats...looks like a nice looking boat... you will have a great time..and a great learning frontier...my first boat 1980 Catalina 22..still have her still learning!..as far as the black hole...maybe a rainbow of good time and adventure!!!

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
@iamwhatiam welcome to the best "family" of sailors you can possibly imagine, seems you have a wonderful trou noir of which we throw money into. If I were you though I would definitely find better adjectives to describe getting wet from spray, the English language is a wonderful tool to describe ones adventures.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Just got back from the first overnight trip. Cruised on over to an island that has a boat in only campground (no roads lead to it). Beautiful spot. Was 7 miles across to get to it and the weather was pretty gusty so I just motored there. You seasoned sailors would probably have scoffed, but I didn't feel comfortable hoisting the sails in those conditions being my first time.
Bra-VO, my friend!! Your first outing, and I'm already jealous of you! A boat-in-only campground?? What a concept, and what beautiful surroundings for it! I spent a few days in Bellingham, many years ago, but there was a young lady involved ... so I never left the house. ;)

By the way ... one thing no "seasoned sailor" (and I am definitely not one) will ever scoff at is CAUTION. You got there and back with nothing worse than wet clothes, and had a great time?? Sounds like great seamanship to me!! :thumbup:

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
Congrats on your first outing. Sometimes a reefed main and motor sailing is actually easier going than motoring and bashing into the waves.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Save me some of those San Juans! coming in August --- that my friend is cruising paradise #PNW