H26.5????

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
I am going to look at a H26.5 in the morning. I may buy it. Does anyone have any quick advice on this particular model?

Thanks,
Jim

Aug 22, 2017
Well, I looked at it. I took it for a sail. I liked it. I think that I am probably going to buy it. Does anyone know of any issues I should look out for on this little boat?

Thanks,
Jim

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I looked at one about 15 years ago. Good looking boat. For what I was looking for, it seems like a ton of boat for the money. Not overbuilt in any way, but the construction didn't seem like it would not you down. Loved the fractional rig, open transom, the tiller, the traveler, and all the room. Eh re the OB, but whatever.

For my money the best vintage Hunter under 30 feet. I'd love to get one and turn it into a PHRF KILLER.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017
...A 27 foot sailboat deserves an inboard diesel.
I agree.

Perhaps someday I may convert it over to diesel or electric inboard. Thunderstruck is advertising some retrofits that look interesting. https://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/sevcon-brushless-sailboat-kit-10.5kw.html

The only downside to putting a diesel in that boat would be that you would loose much of the huge party-size aft cabin. Electric might let you get around that by relocating some of the gear to other areas of the boat.

Also, thank you for the general insight in post #3.

Aug 22, 2017
...For my money the best vintage Hunter under 30 feet. I'd love to get one and turn it into a PHRF KILLER.
It does seem to have the potential to sail to or beyond it's rating. Rangers tend to be good that way too. I looked at one of those the other day as well.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
For my money the best vintage Hunter under 30 feet. I'd love to get one and turn it into a PHRF KILLER.
That’s my plan for the one in my driveway. Retirement project to make it into a Wednesday night beer can racer, go against Capri and Catalina 25’s and the like.
The factory outboard bracket is usually sagging quite a bit by now. Top rudder bearings and plywood deck backing around it may need replacing . I drilled extra holes to drain between the bottom and the grid. We moved the battery, too, aft starboard corner sits low with both the battery and outboard there. And we also installed jib sheet tracks.

Nov 8, 2010
That’s my plan for the one in my driveway. Retirement project to make it into a Wednesday night beer can racer, go against Capri and Catalina 25’s and the like.
The H25.5 rates 213-ish. With that rating it will hang around the Catalina 25s, but the Capri 25s (PHRF 168?) are going to crush it.

The trick to making this boat a PHRF killer is it outfit it better than the average one that casually raced, and hopefully the rating was based on. Laminated sails, high-tech cordage, clean bottom, optimized deck hardware, light boat and you'll sail 10+ seconds better than your rating. The rest is up to the crew!

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Well, I looked at it. I took it for a sail. I liked it. I think that I am probably going to buy it. Does anyone know of any issues I should look out for on this little boat?

Thanks,
Jim
Is there a link to an ad so we can see what you're looking at?
8C5F9043-98EC-4137-B106-41E49B5951BF.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
If you plan on racing it, one other thing you will need to do is add a middle lifeline. That single set is high, and hiking on the rail it will catch you in the neck. PHRF says you can lean out under a top lifeline if there is a middle. With just the one, hiking will be impossible.

Clearly not planned as a race boat!

Aug 22, 2017
Is there a link to an ad so we can see what you're looking at?
Unfortunately, the ad has been removed already.
https://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/boa/d/north-palm-beach-hunter-265-sailboat/6866809592.html

I bought the boat yesterday. A friend helped me sail it down the ditch to my local mooring field. The wind was gusty & shifty, blowing about 12-18 with 20 degree swings on the upwind beat. She preferred having both sails reefed with that much wind. Sail area to displacement is over 18 & she has a shallow keel, so needing a reef, with just 2 guys aboard, wasn't much of a shocker.

This morning, the wind was blowing over 30, so the bow cleats & ground tackle got tested. One boat, that I know of, did break loose today & go for an unmanned ride, but so far mine is still OK (knock on wood).

Tomorrow, I'm going to stock her up with equipment & supplies. I have plans to take her out in the open ocean Sunday, to see how she does in the real world.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017
If you plan on racing it, one other thing you will need to do is add a middle lifeline. That single set is high, and hiking on the rail it will catch you in the neck. PHRF says you can lean out under a top lifeline if there is a middle. With just the one, hiking will be impossible.

Clearly not planned as a race boat!
That's probably sound advice. If I was going to buoy race her, I would probably heed that suggestion. At this time, the only races that I plan to do are coastal navigation races that are about 30 miles long & generally involve getting out into the Gulf stream as quickly as possible. Those races are usually won on tactics more than anything else & the competition is at the moderate level, so I'm probably going to take her in there bone-stock for the first go of it & see how I do. These are casual & fun gentleman's races between local clubs. I'm just racing for the enjoyment of the sail & the conversations that follow at the dinner party. I don't have particularly competitive aspirations. I'm not looking to take home a cup.

Thank you for the tip though. Your point is well taken.

Aug 22, 2017
Here's a silly question:
Now that I have a different boat, how do I edit my profile to change that detail?

Aug 22, 2017
Go to the top of the page and click on your forum name. Click on Contact info and then to personal info.
Thank you for the instructions Dave. I am able to get into my profile, & I can see my personal info when I click on "contact", but I do not see how to edit or change the data that is displayed. Am I missing something?

Aug 22, 2017
Sorry to hear about the funeral.

I found the place to make the change. It was under "your account", not "your profile". I had been looking in the wrong spot.

thank you for the general guidance.

Aug 22, 2017
I'm a couple of weeks into it now. I've had to repair a bunch of sub-standard wiring issues, but other than that, the boat seems good. She is still bone dry inside after high winds & heavy rains. I'm pretty happy with the purchase.

Now I need to see about selling a couple of my other boats. I just have too many at this point.