eye candy

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis

most famous vessel/yacht ever maybe. one year she was chartered to do the chi/mac race. she beat me boat for boat. i rafted off of her at the isl. quite a gem

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Speaking of Chi Mac and classics designs, Jon, did you ever compete against Flying Buffalo? Flying Buffalo was in Greenport for a number of years and I raced my 356 against it - we were the only competitors in the cruising class - in the Greenport Ocean Race. On board were the former owner who had campaigned Flying Buffalo successfully in several Chi Macs. He beat the hell out of me. I wish I had a picture but by the time I find it this discussion will move on.

May 25, 2012
shemandr, i know the flying buffalo quite well.

an update to the video. Al and his brother have purchased the boat back and have won both mac's with it.
Al has been a good friend for 40 years now. he has built all my sails for all my boats. i have crewed with him, he has crewed for me. maury's great nemesis from the lake michigan side was bill schaendorf, who is my next door neighbor in sturge, now in his mid 90's

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The "Some fellow in New York" is Jim Bauman who did pretty well with it including winning our Whitebread Regatta overall for cruising. The talk between 6:27 to 7:25 is about the race in which I raced against them. We call it the Greenport Ocean Race but it's name then was The Greenport Ocean Race for the Brooklyn Ocean Challenge Cup. The BOCC has a long and venerable history but its current rendition is from Greenport, leaving Block Island either to Port or Starboard, and back to Greenport. It's first year's in this edition were overnight races as was that one. It was 2008 I think.

May 25, 2012
flying baffalo has now won more chi/mac's that any other boat. not bad for a home designed/ home built vessel that is family and friends raced