Our 2003 C310!

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Had fun today, tank was pretty full so didn't need to top off. Did a lot of cleaning and organizing, weather was a bit iffy so stay and enjoyed the AC and stereo. Took this pics of my battery set-up.
A tad nicer than the O'day?
I plan to spend more time just hangin on the C30 than we did last year or ever did on the O'day. In fact I'm already starting. This is the second Saturday night spent on the boat on the hard. No rush to get to the boat, do my task list, then drive home. Got a lot done today and more tomorrow.

Your battery set up looks good. I have the same batteries but only two. Your ANL fuses/connections look like there might be some corrosion? If you ever replace the ANL fuses you might want to go with Blue Sea. They are ignition proof and I would question whether those stamped with Mexico on them are or are not. Being they are in the battery compartment I think they should be but could be wrong.

What's the black box also in the battery compartment, next to the ANL fuses? Curious.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Most Catalinas are same size on locknut and packing gland. I have two different sizes 1 7/8 & 2. CD sells wrenches that fit in the space - you jut need to measure for the size (3 or 4 choices). I have a bias against adjustable, too many busted knuckles and rounded bolts (but I do have them)
I agree. After 20 years I finally got it right. I had an adjustable and a fixed, but the fixed one kept slipping off the lock nut, never had a problem with the adjustable because the gland nut is always easy to turn, or should be.
It turned out that four of the six sides of the lock nut were smaller than the other two!
I found a BIG combo box wrench and the store cut it in half for me!
1 3/4" works great.

IMG_20180613_124743 (Small).jpg

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
[QUOTE="Ward H, post: 1528083, member: 108563"
What's the black box also in the battery compartment, next to the ANL fuses? Curious.[/QUOTE]

Ya, honestly I'm not sure! I tried asking the previous owner he doesn't remember, it is tucked up tight in the compartment inboard.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
John
You might want to fit some red and black caps on those exposed battery terminals. A casually dropped metal tool landing in the wrong way atop the batteries could really ruin your day.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
How do I know when the water tank is full?
The two boats that I have owned had a water tank vent mounted topside, near the water deck fill, to vent excess water and/or pressure. Even if yours doesn't have a vent, no big deal, place the dock supply water hose into the deck fill and slowly fill the tank, when water flows from the deck fill, the tank is full. Run the galley and head sink faucets for a few minutes to rid the water tank and deck filler hose of excess water.
Now would be a good time to treat your tank and water lines with bleach to sanitize the fresh water system. Research Peggy Hall's recommendations for "Fresh Water Maintenance."

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
My overflow for the water tank goes to the anchor locker, then out the locker drain. I've never noticed the mattress lifting???
Cheers
dj

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
My overflow for the water tank goes to the anchor locker, then out the locker drain. I've never noticed the mattress lifting???
Cheers
dj
You know how it is, Dave. It seems like no two boats are exactly alike. It might be just my boat that has very little clearance between the tank and mattress.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
My vent for the water tank exits in the anchor locker as well. My concern with overfilling the tank is that, if I remember correctly, the elbow for the vent is at the top of the tank, and that is what lifts the board under the mattress. If anyone were to sit on the mattress while it is lifted, the elbow would probably be damaged.

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
Well Tom, the person that is sitting on the mattress should be helping with the filling of the tank! Kidding...
I'm like Big Easy, I listen for the sound that the tank is full, but sometimes it runs out the top and onto the deck, no big deal.
But, as you say, not all boats are built the same, and we never know what the PO did....

Cheers
dj

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Well Tom, the person that is sitting on the mattress should be helping with the filling of the tank! Kidding...
I'm like Big Easy, I listen for the sound that the tank is full, but sometimes it runs out the top and onto the deck, no big deal.
But, as you say, not all boats are built the same, and we never know what the PO did....

Cheers
dj
The first time we filled the water tank on our C310 (hull #31), by the time I realized it was overflowing out the anchor locker it also overflowed under the bed and into the bilge. Now I’ve got a flow meter that lets me put 35 gallons in-works as long as the tank is empty to start. I’ve got the parts for a tank monitor, but have to pull things apart to put the sensors on it.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
The first time we filled the water tank on our C310 (hull #31), by the time I realized it was overflowing out the anchor locker it also overflowed under the bed and into the bilge. Now I’ve got a flow meter that lets me put 35 gallons in-works as long as the tank is empty to start. I’ve got the parts for a tank monitor, but have to pull things apart to put the sensors on it.

Hard to add sensors to tank.
I sealed the gray cover with silicone...no more leaks.

paulj
:hook2:

Attachments

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Hard to add sensors to tank.
I sealed the gray cover with silicone...no more leaks.

paulj
:hook2:
I added sensors to the outside of the tank. Actually not that hard to do on the fresh water tank. The holding tank was a little more difficult.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
That's a good idea I may have to borrow.
Just be careful that you don’t let the end of the hose with the flow meter on it fall into seawater... luckily they don’t cost much.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
@2 OLD PIRATES they are all in there, the starter is under the wood and has to be removed to see it. I really am struggling with a full understanding of this area, so next time out I'll see about taking it apart and tracing the wires. It all works really well and there appears to be no issues with charging it. I got lucky that I didn't have to figure this out myself to make but now really need to get a solid understanding of what I have.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Crap weather for Alabama today but made the boat my remote office and also found this.20190419_124336.jpg

Box says ST Compass Transducer, nothing on it says that and it looks new. Any ideas?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Looks like the flux gate compass that I have connected to the Raymarine autopilot