H49 inmast furling

Apr 12, 2007
Hunter H49 la romana dominican republic
Hello, does anyone know what model is the Selden inmast furling for the H49 2009? RA MK III, RB MKIII or RC MK III?
I am having problems with it, I when up the mast and found out the Luff extrusion assembly is slidding from the rivets (see photo attached).
Also it is very dificult to raise the Halyard swivel, even without the sail attached.
Is it possible that the extrusions lost its form?
Any help will be much appreciated.

Miguel

Attachments

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Not an uncommon problem. Unfortunately, the only reliable way to fix it is not what you want to hear so I won’t...

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 49 123
MAst serial nujmber 1.jpg
MAst serial nujmber 2.jpg
Hi Miguel, just like I feared that the foils/extrusion fasteners may have come undone and in my case I believe that the foil is twisted (I used the electric winch to try to pull the sail out…out - do not attempt at home ). I since have learned to keep the system lubbed and if the sail doe not want to pull out I step on the boom and push the bulging sail back inside the mast with a wooden wedge. I also try to wind the sail in so it does not bulge out.

The mast has a serial number (see Pictures) in the port side just above the deck. Call Selden and they will have a parts list of all the items installed at the Selden factory. Your pictures confirmed that the foil is not a single extrusion.

How many extrusion did you find?

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 49 123
Things to do:

1. Rinse sail frequently
2. apply lubricant to sail - like canvas protection (I use Starbright canvas protector)
3. Before rolling the sail in make sure that the halyard tension is correct
4. When the sail is stock, stop and wind it in from the furler winch below the boon.
5. If you create a bulge, push the sail back inside the mast
I removed the vertical battens and replaced then with very thin ones. I am thinking I may take the off as well since I don't race.
Pull the sail about 1 foot with outhaul and unfurl the sail with continuous line (yellow) and repeat.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Hello, does anyone know what model is the Selden inmast furling for the H49 2009? RA MK III, RB MKIII or RC MK III?
I am having problems with it, I when up the mast and found out the Luff extrusion assembly is slidding from the rivets (see photo attached).
Also it is very dificult to raise the Halyard swivel, even without the sail attached.
Is it possible that the extrusions lost its form?
Any help will be much appreciated.

Miguel
I believe this is a major rig service, and the foil has to come out.
This means the mast comes off, the masthead is removed, and the extrusion is pulled
I would have this done professionally.

Apr 12, 2007
Thanks for all your help. I will have to go up again and count them cause I stopped at the first extrusion joint.

Apr 12, 2007
does anyone has a number to contact Selden Support? on the webpage there is only dealers... I need to find a Selden Certified technician to have my rig service.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 49 123
Seldén Mast Inc., USA

4668 Franchise St.
N. Charleston, SC 29418

Tel: +1 843-760-6278

Fax: +1 843-760-1220

e-mail: info@seldenus.com

The Rigging Shop
  • Rigging service
  • Authorized Furlex dealer and installer

K.M. 50.8 Carr 3, B.O. Demajatua
00738 Fajardo

o 787-863-7281
2 787-860-2244

Last edited:

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
Velero, when you say "lube the sail"..do you mean lube the moving parts and foils? Or do you mean to actually apply product directly to the sail fabric itself? I use McLube to all moving parts and guides/foils but have never applied anything directly to sail fabric.