Our 2003 C310!

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I found a local canves / boat care business so they are going to first look at the bimini top and height. They offer a lot of other service so it was a good find.
I had the same issues with the bimini top. I first lowered the bimini a bit by adjusting the clamps on the bimini supports, and I had a leather patch sewn on the top of the bimini where the boom would rub. Then, a friend pointed out that I was not tensioning the halyard enough, so I corrected that and it helped somewhat. What finally cured the issue was when I had the sail reconditioned, and they resewed the luff bolt rope. This made a huge difference in how the sail tensioned and hung on the boom. Now I can sheet the main in til it is flat, and still have plenty of room above the bimini.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Thanks @Ward H that will probably work well when I can get this top made lower. And yes the purest would say fold up when sailing, but cockpit comfort for my wife is important so I shall adapt!
We always sail with the bimini up, especially when we were in Florida. That sun will kill you! I imagine it is somewhat the same in Alabama. Besides, my bimini does not fold down. It is a job to dismantle it at the end of every season, and there is no way to do it on a daily basis. Same for the dodger. They are both built very heavily, and have survived 60 mph winds intact (plus one 88 mph microburst).

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Thanks @Tom J I did have to get the halyard winched tight and the luft was good. The only way the get a flat clew was tighten the outhaul and then put the vang on since the spring load seems to really want to push the boom up. I'm tempted to disconnect the spring load boom vang withthe main up and see how the sail looks. Obviously this would be dock side with a low wind day.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Thanks @Tom J I did have to get the halyard winched tight and the luft was good. The only way the get a flat clew was tighten the outhaul and then put the vang on since the spring load seems to really want to push the boom up. I'm tempted to disconnect the spring load boom vang withthe main up and see how the sail looks. Obviously this would be dock side with a low wind day.
You have already figured it out, JRT. To get the boom level, haul in on the vang. The downhaul on the vang easily overcomes the spring tension, and then you can ease the downhaul, and the spring will hold the boom up when you want it to.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Excellent, the local canves/boat care guy checked my issue today and said it would be no problem to cut the mount down and would meet me at the boat to measure it with the sail and boom at the proper height to make sure there would be clearance. He also didn't try to up sell me either as he felt a few repairs is all I needed vs replacment.

They also will do a buff and polish and remove the old name as our first step to making her our boat too.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
4) The Mainsheet V-Cleat / jam cleat just sucks, I'm wrapping it on the starboard cabin top winch, but that doesn't seem ideal.
Here’s the cleat my rigger set up for me on our C310. That original clam cleat was terrible and unsafe. The swivel lets it lead cleanly to the winch.
We also redid the traveler control lines to make them easy to adjust from the cockpit.
IMG_0671.JPG

Last edited:

JRT

Feb 14, 2017

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I'll probably try to measure my current length
Very wise to do because your idea of the correct length and CD's idea of correct length may not be the same. Plus you can do better on price elsewhere. I use CD for those things which I cannot find or identify through other sources but line wouldn't be one of them.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Ok dumb question, filling the water tank. How do I know when it is full? Do I have to have someone monitor it under the V-Berth as I fill from the deck or is there an over flow?

Also I want to get some wrenches for the stuffing box adjustment, I'm not at the boat but if anyone could tell me the size or just get 2 adjustable wrenches to keep on the boat then I'll do that. Also a dumb question for sure...

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
just get 2 adjustable wrenches to keep on the boat then I'll do that. Also a dumb question for sure...
Not a dumb question. And you answered it the way I solved the problem.

I needed one each of these
husky-wrenches-16pl0134-64_1000.jpg crescent-adjustable-wrenches-ac218vs-64_1000.jpg
I tie lines to the ends just incase I drop one so it is not lost in the abyss know as my bilge.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Most Catalinas are same size on locknut and packing gland. I have two different sizes 1 7/8 & 2. CD sells wrenches that fit in the space - you jut need to measure for the size (3 or 4 choices). I have a bias against adjustable, too many busted knuckles and rounded bolts (but I do have them)

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Ok dumb question, filling the water tank. How do I know when it is full? Do I have to have someone monitor it under the V-Berth as I fill from the deck or is there an over flow?

Also I want to get some wrenches for the stuffing box adjustment, I'm not at the boat but if anyone could tell me the size or just get 2 adjustable wrenches to keep on the boat then I'll do that. Also a dumb question for sure...
Not such a dumb question, JRT. I installed a gauge on my water tank, but it is not very accurate. When I think the tank is close to full, I go below and lift the mattress and unscrew the access lid. Once the level is close to the top of the tank, I'm done. If the tank is over filled, I unscrew the lid a bit and let the excess water flow into the bilge. If the tank stays over filled, it expands and lifts up the mattress, putting pressure on the top of the tank.
For the packing nuts, I carry two of the large adjustable wrenches John showed. They carry them at marine supply stores, but the same wrench is available at hardware stores for half the price. Look in the plumbing section. And do yourself a favor and keep those nuts saturated in PB Blaster or something similar.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Ok, Thanks all, I do actually like having sized correct wrench when I do work, especially on motors. I figure for now I'll at least grab an adjustable spanner wrench and 10" or 12" adjustable wrench. I'll measure next time out, hopefully this weekend for sure.

Good feedback on the tank filling process, I was going down the gauge process also as a nice project. The previous owner used the fresh water for flushing the head and we plan to keep doing that since we are just day sailing and it seems to be an improvement in head smells. Got to pick up the special Toilet paper also before next trip before I have a revolt by the crew too.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Good feedback on the tank filling process, I was going down the gauge process also as a nice project. The previous owner used the fresh water for flushing the head and we plan to keep doing that since we are just day sailing and it seems to be an improvement in head smells. Got to pick up the special Toilet paper also before next trip before I have a revolt by the crew too
While you are at it, you might want to put a gauge on the holding tank, also. You can have one monitor that will look at three or four different tanks.
Using fresh water in the head definitely helps to keep the smell down, especially if the boat will be sitting for a while.
When you check the packing gland for wrench sizes, remember that you need very skinny wrenches. I find that the adjustable plumbing wrenches work well because they fit side by side on the gland nuts.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Even on Lake Erie we use fresh water to flush and Practical Sailor did a study and recommended West Marine Oceans TP but a while ago they said if it was septic safe it would work.
We use chemicals recommended by THE HEAD MISTRESS, maybe she will jump in and give you guidance, We used the chemicals-KO CP-in our 25 and now 310 and have never had a smell issue!
BTW you can get too many projects going at once-sail the boat-Everyone will be happier!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Thanks, just figuring it all out right now. The KO/CP is a great recommendation, just ordered them on prime.

Only real project I need to address is the bimini and some lines, managing tanks is new to me so just thinking for now. Going to try and sail today, if we can make it might enter our clubs spring race at 1PM, but that depends on our schedule this morning.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
We use chemicals recommended by THE HEAD MISTRESS, maybe she will jump in and give you guidance, We used the chemicals-KO CP-in our 25 and now 310 and have never had a smell issue!
This addresses the issue of smell from the holding tank, but it doesn't deal with the problem of salt water in the tubing. If the system is flushed with salt water and left to sit for an extended time, the microbes and other sea life start to decay and have a powerful stink. I have found that we can flush with salt water on a daily basis without an issue of bad smells, but it is necessary to flush thoroughly with fresh water before leaving the boat for an extended time.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... filling the water tank. How do I know when it is full? Do I have to have someone monitor it under the V-Berth as I fill from the deck or is there an over flow?...
Don't you have a vent on the water tank? I fill my tank with the deck filler until the water runs out the vent in the hull. Flushes the vent in the process for debris.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Don't you have a vent on the water tank? I fill my tank with the deck filler until the water runs out the vent in the hull. Flushes the vent in the process for debris.
Yes, we could do that, but as I mentioned, the tank would then be over filled and it would expand, lifting up the v berth mattress, and putting pressure on the top of the tank.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Had fun today, tank was pretty full so didn't need to top off. Did a lot of cleaning and organizing, weather was a bit iffy so stay and enjoyed the AC and stereo. Took this pics of my battery set-up.
20190413_145052.jpg 20190413_145101.jpg 20190413_145126.jpg 20190413_145144.jpg