eye candy

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Nice capture of a beautiful boat Will.
I like the interior look of Marilee. I know it is not “true” Herreshoff, but the colors and design is very appealing.
If only the lottery would bless me with the funds to play that way. But no. And it is ok as I am happy to be able to enjoy a boat that is sound and seaworthy.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Thanks Jim.
Fascinating article. Extraordinarily beautiful boat. A perfect piece of eye candy.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH

This style boat, in the 50' range, has been my dream live-aboard/World cruiser since running into a converted North Sea trawler in Burmuda. She had a young couple living-aboard, traveling the World and selling hand-made jewelry from corral they collected along the way. I love the large foredeck space and the tall pilothouse and the bullworks for ocean passage security. There is a lot I would change about the old classic working trawler design, but the basic look is perfect for living aboard, I think. It's all about the space.

-Will (Dragonfly)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Speaking of Herreshoff's New York class boats, I met the owner of ALERA, a 1904 New York 30 a few years ago.

He's from Sweden and found the boat in the states and had it restored in Maine. Amazingly graceful old boats, it's so low in the water even shot from my low freeboard boat.
New York 30 1905 (1 of 1).jpg

He travels to Maine every season for a few weeks of cruising and racing. His family, young kids and all, join him.

Several years ago I snapped he and a friend having tea onboard ALERA, porcelain tea kettle and table cloth of course.

Tea on Alera.jpg

Photographic boat, ALERA.
ALERA.jpg

Classic sailboat is huge here in Penobscot Bay, and growing. Spirit of Tradition boats have joined in to make for a varied fleet.

I found this nicely put together vid of sailing ALERA with the owner. Interesting to consider this racing boat was designed over a century ago before winches were widely used. Every thing had to be managed by an owner and maybe a crew or 3.

This 10 min. vid shows how it was done back in the day:

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
that was special. thanks tom that took me back to my early years when dad had the US one design. he had it for 13 seasons. i sailed the snot out of that boat.

Last edited:

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
The kind of image that sets me to dreaming.

-Will (Dragonfly)
I actually had the opportunity to do that before my knee went. I worked on as a volunteer, and had the opportunity to do a short cruise on Chesapeake Bay on Godspeed, one of the three tall ships at Jamestown Settlement Va.