Our 2003 C310!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
What gets you excited about a new boat, well the boat of course but this stuffed backpack is a gold mine of info, history, records, and all the manuals for everything since new. Original purchase date looks like August 2004. My wife fails to understand my excitment over 15 years of records and manuals...
..20190404_160134.jpg 20190404_160210.jpg 20190404_160309.jpg 20190404_160408.jpg 20190404_160456.jpg 20190404_160610.jpg 20190404_160736.jpg

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
My wife fails to understand my excitment over 15 years of records and manuals...
Superb. I have all that stuff for my 32 year old boat. After I leave this good earth somebody's gonna have a ball, too!!! :)

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Be STILL MY BEATING HEART!......
MANUALS..... AH YES, NOW YOU KNOW THE STORY!...
You have done well for yourselves, Leslie, Stu, Even John, EVERYONE here continues to teach me lots of things and give me great ideas.
Keep the photos coming!
We are still on the hard going to the boat again tomorrow to get things ready- 2.5 hrs drive each way!
Shows how we feel!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
So Abby and I plan to do our first shake down sail tomorrow. Today would have been less wind and ideal but as is our life with kids we are booked mid afternoon making a trip out and back on a new boat too much to push.

Reviewing my 3 wind apps shows pretty much the same constant wind of 5-10, but gust predictions are not consistent with lows of 10 and highs of 19. Not ideal but should be fun and will just take our time.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Good luck JRT.
Had my Hadley out yesterday. Thought I would sail to Lopez and join up with 3 other SBO members.

But the weather turned nasty. 2guys are hold up in a marina on San Juan Island. They were anchored in a near by bay but as the breeze stiffened they abandoned the anchorage for a more sheltered marina.

Me I was making good time to a marina till I got the word “we are not going to make Lopez”. So 2 hours into my journey I headed back through a squall, 40knot gust, sting salt spray and face stinging rain reaching my home port at sunset. At least I’m in a familiar port while the winds and rain rage.

Turned out to be a great shake down sail for the coming year. Identified a couple of issues that need addressing. I also got the local CG Auxiliary Inspector to visit and award my 2019 Vessel Safety Check sticker. Who knows it may mean just a shout hello next time the CG or Marine Patrol cruise by on one of their boarding visitation days.

It is kind of cool when the inspector states “Ok, I would sail on this boat with you.”

Consider contacting the local CG Auxiliary for your boat safety inspection.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
but gust predictions are not consistent with lows of 10 and highs of 19.
As we both moved up from O'day 25's to similar sized boats I'm interested in hearing your thoughts of how your 310 handled the gusts. Not Ideal may turn out to be No Big Deal.
Have a great first sail!

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
When I got my boat it rounded up terribly in gusts. The original owner had gotten sick after buying it, and only put 19 hours on the engine, so I doubt it was sailed much. After raking the mast aft (3.5 turns on the fore stay over the first season) it behaves much better now, but I still always have a hand on the traveler in tight quarters when it is real gusty.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Thanks, I'll look at that closer for sure. My log has 1841 nm recorded and 635 hrs on the motor. I found 2 spare belts, 4 oil and 4 fuel filters for the motor. 1 spare pre filter, 2 tubes of dow marine sealant, a can of Marelube, oil, coolant and lots of extra maintenance material.

Loved the AC at the end of the day and chilled in the cabin with my daughter and set radio stations she likes.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Good for you. Father daughter time on something you both enjoy... Priceless.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Far from an expect on my 310 after 2 whole outing with lite wind, but I noticed a few things.

1) My dang bimini top is to high to tack the Main boom with out releasing the vang line and letting the solid spring loaded vang lift it up. This is really irritating to say the least and since I have at least 8" above my head (5' 11") I plan to take out at least 2"-3"
2) The Mainsheet traveler line is not good and I'm ordering a new set to start with my first line replacement
3) The outhaul line is not lead to the cockpit right now, any thoughts on splicing an additional line lengthen to this for down to at least be able to adjust it and replace down the line.
4) The Mainsheet V-Cleat / jam cleat just sucks, I'm wrapping it on the starboard cabin top winch, but that doesn't seem ideal.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I'm wrapping it on the starboard cabin top winch, but that doesn't seem ideal.
I think it was @jssailem that taught me to do that on my C30. I set my main and lock the sheet on the ST winch. I then adjust the traveler and use that if I need to drop the main quickly. Easy enough to adjust the main sheet on the winch if needed.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Thanks @Ward H that will probably work well when I can get this top made lower. And yes the purest would say fold up when sailing, but cockpit comfort for my wife is important so I shall adapt!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The Mainsheet V-Cleat / jam cleat just sucks, I'm wrapping it on the starboard cabin top winch, but that doesn't seem ideal.
It always has, never could figure why they cheaped out there.
Solution: replace it with a sheetstopper. Leave the sheetstopper OPEN when sailing. It gives you a perfect fairlead to the winch which you wouldn't get if you just ditched the cleat. I did this decades ago, still working fine. In any event, what else is that winch gonna do other than hold the mainsheet? Sometimes for other lines, but 99% of the time...
P1140747 (Medium).JPG

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
The internet is forever! I'll get her there soon enough, she is a huge step up in quality and comdition but I really had my O'day 25 setup just right and I was in the tweaking and adjustment phase.

I found a local canves / boat care business so they are going to first look at the bimini top and height. They offer a lot of other service so it was a good find.

Last edited: