Anybody have a winch to sell

Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
I'm looking for a winch to match this one. It was installed on the port side of the mast on my 84 C22, but I'm planning to use it in a lines led aft project, so I need a second one. I'm pretty sure I've seen this same winch on the mast of other C22's of similar vintage, so it may have been a factory option at some point. Dimensions are 3" base diameter by 3 1/4" tall with 3 mounting holes. It is branded Gibb England and is aluminum. Would also entertain a matched pair of any other brand as long as they are no more than 3-1/4" base diameter as that is the largest I can fit in the available space.
IMG_2375[1].JPG
IMG_2376[1].JPG
IMG_2377[1].JPG

Sep 29, 2008
Morgan Out Island 33 Pompano Beach
I have 1-Barient 10P-3 1/2" high 3 3/4" dia Chrome-in pretty good shape. $50. Probably can ship usps for $20. Bob

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Jacomo...can't help you on your winch search but keenly interested in your lines led aft project, as I have an 84 also and bought winches (Lewmar #6) last year. Base is 3 5/8", so I've got some head scratching and engineering to do...
Thanks in advance,
Ron

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
Ron, I'm still waiting on some parts I ordered and trying to scrounge the extra winch. There's a couple of folks on the FB group that have one and a couple more that might have a pair, so I'm optimistic one will work out. I want to stay with this particular winch for two reasons, first, as you have found out the smallest currently produced are still a bit too big and will require some alterations to fit. Secondly, the one I have is in excellent working condition and seems to be the perfect choice for my application, so finding a used match for it seems like the most economical choice.

I'll keep you posted on my progress as everything comes together. Basically I looked at as many C-22 LLA projects as I could find and noted what I liked and didn't like about each rendition, then figured out what I wanted. I'm only going to lead my main & jib halyards back for now, but am building it with accommodation for two additional lines for future expansion (probably spin halyard and the tack line of my reefing system). I'm trying out something slightly different in that I'm going to use Spinlock PXR cam cleats
in place of a traditional rope clutch. It's a smaller footprint and I caught them on sale at Defender for $37. I didn't care for the LLA kit that CD offers, or the price, so I sourced all of my parts from different vendors to obtain the best pricing. I'll end up with something I like better and will still come in less than CD.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Jacomo....thx for this, good info...I'm still unsettled as the best way to go, having looked at other's LLA as you've done. I need to revisit the whole project, from Clouddiver's to Stingy's and others in between. As you mention, the space for cabintop winches is quite limited on an 84 poptop model, in retrospect, I believe my thoughts a year ago were to relocate the factory Arco's to cabintop (think the footprint was smaller) and install the Lewmar's as primary....Spinlock has some good clutch/cleat options, then there's the handrail decision...lose it altogether or cut it down, depending on winch & clutch/cleat decision/location....planning on 4 LLA as I believe you are...

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2010
76 Catalina 22 Three Mile Harbor, East Hampton, NY
I'm trying out something slightly different in that I'm going to use Spinlock PXR cam cleats
in place of a traditional rope clutch. It's a smaller footprint and I caught them on sale at Defender for $37.
. I have used the Spinlock for about 6 years now with no issues.

Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
I like the size of it. Although it looks like a clutch, it's important to know important to know the difference between a jammer and a clutch. A clutch can still be hauled in on in the closed position, a jammer cannot. A clutch can be opened under load in an emergency, a jammer cannot, you'll have to use the winch to take up the load before it can be opened. You'll need to use line near the top of the size range it is sized for in order to hold the rated load. So if it accommodates 6mm - 10mm line, the 10mm should hold the 400kg load, but a 6mm line will slip well before that load is reached. I did a little Googling and found an account where a guy was using the double minis mounted on his boom for reefing lines and outhaul (a much bigger boat than ours mind you). He stated that they slipped horribly and the lines were wearing bad at the jam point. He felt that they didn't take half the rated load even with 10mm line and was having to put half hitches in to ensure they stayed put. Food for thought.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Gibb: from my stock ‘73– believe this was deck mounted for a halyard winch ? Fully functional— confirmed your 3” dimension
16D82288-8F2B-455D-9D6E-E21C3AB8E733.jpeg 70AA29B1-E5EB-45AE-97AF-6C92CB01D4AB.jpeg BE14676D-4F1B-438A-9751-3AF2498CE3AF.jpeg

Last edited: