My new saildrive

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Just glanced through the thread and was wondering if the tube drawing raw water also cooled the ATF?

Looking forward to reading the resolution.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I chose not to use the raw water tubes. I had multiple confirmations that those tubes are not necessary before I bought it..

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Latest: the new top plate was installed today and still pukes ATF out the breather. The new top late had some very minor differences with oil passages. BTW, there is no check valve in the breather. This is after approx 15 minutes of running. We then installed the breather kit which is just a 2” adapter that gets the breather approx 2” above the top plate. This worked well after a 45min. run. I shut it down and left it for a few hrs and then checked the level. It seemed to have risen a bit..Ran another 45 min. and, again, no leaking..So..I can now claim victory at least for now. But, I am at a loss as to how this works. With the elevated breather vent, I still expected leakage, but maybe just a bit longer to occur. I will run a few more times at the dock in the next week. If I accept this, Twin Disc needs to step up to the plate and describe what is happening and how/why. And if I accept it, I will demand a very extended warranty of some kind..
Also, the dipstick is gun metal gray. I would like to paint a white vertical line on it to give contrast with the red ATF. Any ideas on what to use?

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Take it to a powder coat place. Glad your running. Maybe you can join Terry Cox and I. Next week.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
On (only) the dipstick problem...
On our present Betamarine25 and also on our prior Universal M25XP, the transmission oil is/was "ATF" and was very difficult to read on the metal stick.
I use the ancient method of laying the just-pulled-out stick on a dry paper towel, and rolling it over once and viewing the liquid mark on the towel. A little tedious, but works fine in practice. That very-pale red oil is darned near invisible on the stick! :)
We have a shaft drive with the TMC 40 transmission.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Barlow Bay. April 6th. Beyond that ideas are not yet defined.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Dinner at grandmas house on 6th or 7th. Costco lasagna - who’s bringing the wine and bread???

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Figured you'd all be at the Seattle 48 North Swap Meet at dawn.....
:)

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Dinner at grandmas house on 6th or 7th. Costco lasagna - who’s bringing the wine and bread???
Yum. Must muster up something. I can bring bread; what kind, French, Italian, English, Gringo? Red wine, too. April 2019 vintage box wine?:D

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
We are going to have wild blackberry pies??? Oh Boy.
May the winds be in my favor as I sail up the Saratoga Passage.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hold your horses. Grandma passed decades ago.
Whoa-aaah! You mean you ate all her wild blackberry pies and left none for us? Sheesh. That was one of my mother's specialties. That, warmed, along with a big dollop of vanilla ice-cream; heaven!!

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Talk about thread drift! Ha! This last weekend we did a three day trip and no evidence of ATF. I told Beta I wanted answers as to why this “works” and why I should accept it...The last request went to the Italians today. Hopefully, we’ll see something tomorrow am..